[Solved] CTRL + C does not work unless keyboard is captured, but then mouse can't leave screen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jyolikearock

[Solved] CTRL + C does not work unless keyboard is captured, but then mouse can't leave screen

Post by jyolikearock »

Hi all,

For some context:
I am using a dual-monitor setup with an Ubuntu machine on the left and a Windows laptop on the right.
The Ubuntu machine is hosting a Linux VirtualBox VM.
I use Synergy to move my mouse between the two monitors.

I have 2 problems, which are tied together:

1. CTRL + C does not work in my Linux VM unless I let the VM capture my keyboard. Only CTRL + C does not work - all other CTRL commands work even if the keyboard is not captured.
2. When the keyboard is captured by VirtualBox, the Linux VM does not allow the mouse to leave the screen. When I try to move my mouse from my left Linux monitor to my right Windows monitor, the mouse disappears and the Synergy logs display: "WARNING: can't leave screen".

So currently, I can either retain use of the CTRL + C command on my Linux VM or be able to move my mouse between screens, but not both.

An answer to any one of the two problems will be enough to resolve my situation, i.e.:

1. Is there a way to make the CTRL + C command work on the Linux VirtualBox VM without capturing the keyboard?
2. Is there a way to allow my mouse to leave the screen while the keyboard is captured by VirtualBox?

Currently, I have disabled "Auto Capture Keyboard" on VirtualBox, and am using the host key to manually capture/release the keyboard depending on whether I need to copy-paste or move my mouse between screens. But this becomes tedious quickly, especially in cases where I need to copy-paste text between my Linux VM and my Windows laptop repeatedly.
Last edited by jyolikearock on 16. Feb 2018, 22:16, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: CTRL + C does not work unless keyboard is captured, but then mouse can't leave screen

Post by socratis »

Quick question: does it happen when Synergy in not involved/installed?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jyolikearock

Re: CTRL + C does not work unless keyboard is captured, but then mouse can't leave screen

Post by jyolikearock »

Your asking this question just made me realize that I have a custom key mapping in my Synergy configurations which binds CTRL + c to CTRL + c* (whatever that means...).
I removed the mapping, and CTRL + C is now working as expected, regardless of whether the keyboard is captured.

I feel so dumb.
Thanks so much, socratis!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] CTRL + C does not work unless keyboard is captured, but then mouse can't leave screen

Post by socratis »

You made me smile, mostly because BTDT (been there, done that)... ;)
Thank you for marking it as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.