Bridged Network not working; Virtualbox on Ubuntu Host with Static IP address configured

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
RajaSamikannu

Bridged Network not working; Virtualbox on Ubuntu Host with Static IP address configured

Post by RajaSamikannu »

Dear Team,

I am trying to configure multiple virtualbox VM's on Ubuntu 16.04 installed Host to launch Openstack cluster. but it seems Bridge Network Adapter is not working as expected.

Topology:
1) Installed Ubuntu16.04 OS on Baremetal, this is acting as my HOST
2) Configured Static IP address 10.203.x.x on My HOST, we have proxy settings to connect internet
3) Installed virtualbox5.2 version on My HOST
4) Created 5 different VM's and installed Ubuntu16.04 OS, by default NAT adapter is enabled while creating VM's and all the Guest OS are able to connect internet without any issues and it same IP address 10.0.2.15 on all the 5 Guest OS. when i changed default NAT adapter to Bridge Network adapter, it seems interfaces IP address got removed in all Guest OS and not able to reach internet.

Question:
1) When i statically changed the ip address to 192.168.1.1 for Guest OS1, 192.168.1.2 for Guest OS2,...192.168.1.5 for Guest OS5, i am able to initiate connection between the Guest OS's, not able to connect internet.

Spent more than two days for debugging this issue. but not able to identify the root cause or solution. anyone could you please help in this. sorry if my question is too basic but i am such a kind of stuck now.

Regards, Raja.
Bsoft
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP Ubutu

Re: Bridged Network not working; Virtualbox on Ubuntu Host with Static IP address configured

Post by Bsoft »

Sorry, but your setup is a bit too complex for me to understand clearly, especially on 5.2 as it introduced the feature of virtual networks between guests…. Hope you are not using it here

I would first avoid using NAT and bridge all my guest NICs upfront.
Make sure that the driver you use is known by the guest systems
It works even better if you have a dhcp server on the host that you populate correctly for your guests prior to that.

Hope it helps
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Bridged Network not working; Virtualbox on Ubuntu Host with Static IP address configured

Post by socratis »

@RajaSamikannu
Please read the following: User Manual, ch. 6.2. Introduction to networking modes including the Overview table, which shows quickly what kind of connection is required to achieve what you want. And remember, you can always have more than one network card in your guest to cover multiple scenarios.

NAT for example gives you access to the internet, but not communication between VMs. You might either switch to Bridged (which doesn't seem that you're using) or create a NATnetwork and assign every VM to the NATnetwork.

@Bsoft
I'm not sure what you refer to when you talk about "virtual networks between guests". There have been several modes for communication between guests; HostOnly, Internal, Bridged and the latest that was added was NATnetwork, with VirtualBox 4.3.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RajaSamikannu

Post by RajaSamikannu »

Please find my topology attached. please help in this
Attachments
Topology
Topology
virtualbox-vms.JPG (88.01 KiB) Viewed 9125 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

When you configure your guests with the bridged adapter it is the same as having a physical piece of hardware that you plug into your network hub / switch.

To access the internet it will most likely need an IP address in the same range as the host and the same proxy settings. At the moment with a 10.203.x.x IP address on the host and 192.168.1.x IP addresses in the guests you in effect have two separate networks.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Bsoft
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: XP Ubutu

Post by Bsoft »

@socratis
For me, since version 5.2, under Global Tool you can now create “guests only network” separated from the others segments of your environment. Looks like it works like a “vLan” with its owns IPs and so you can make tests between guests in that “sandboxed” guests only environment.
Just making sure he was not mixing it up with bridged NICs

@RajaSamikannu
I use Paravirtualized Network for ubuntu16.04 guest and PC-net are ok. Do not use Intel PRO/1000 for Ubuntu
In addition, make sure of the name for the bridged adapter; ubuntu is switching to predictable naming (enp…) instead of ethX
If that's ok check the relation guests-proxy
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Bsoft wrote:since version 5.2, under Global Tool you can now create “guests only network”
If you're talking about the HostOnly networks, you could do that for a loooooong time. Just the location changed, check older manuals please.

Second, I'm not sure that your advice to RajaSamikannu makes any sense for his problem. Absolutely no sense. Why would using a different adapter solve the IP problems that he's having?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sylvia Else

Post by Sylvia Else »

RajaSamikannu wrote:Dear Team,

I am trying to configure multiple virtualbox VM's on Ubuntu 16.04 installed Host to launch Openstack cluster. but it seems Bridge Network Adapter is not working as expected.

Regards, Raja.
I suspect you're experiencing a problem that I'm researching now, which is that bridge networking doesn't work unless in VirtualBox you set the Network advance setting "Promiscuous mode" to "Allow All". Note that this must be done before the guest's network adapter is brought up - simplest way is to restart the guest.

Sylvia.

Amended. Seems this solution doesn't work as well as I thought. Sorry to get people's hopes up. I'll stick with it.
Last edited by Sylvia Else on 7. Mar 2018, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Sylvia, let's continue this discussion in the dedicated thread that you opened: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=87057
Sylvia Else

Post by Sylvia Else »

RajaSamikannu wrote:Dear Team,
2) Configured Static IP address 10.203.x.x on My HOST, we have proxy settings to connect internet

1) When i statically changed the ip address to 192.168.1.1 for Guest OS1, 192.168.1.2 for Guest OS2,...192.168.1.5 for Guest OS5, i am able to initiate connection between the Guest OS's, not able to connect internet.
You'd see exactly the same result if you configured real machines that way and connected them via a network switch/hub. Your guests can talk to each other because they share a subnet number. They cannot talk to the host, or the internet, because they don't know how to reach it. You really need either to give them addresses within the host's subnet, or add an address on the guest's subnet to the host. Either way, the guests need to have a default route pointing at the host if they're to be able to reach the internet.