Linux Endless host - Which VirtualBox?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Trader_Horn
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: W3.11,Win95,Win98,WinMe,Win2000,WinXP,Linux Mint

Linux Endless host - Which VirtualBox?

Post by Trader_Horn »

I have purchased a new Acer computer with a Linux Endless OS 64 bit and need to install a Windows 10 VM. Which VB do I download please as I cannot see this listed in your options.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Linux Endless host - Which VirtualBox?

Post by andyp73 »

The Endless Computer Wikipedia page says it is a Debian derivative so maybe start there?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The next tidbit on that Wikipedia article might be of worrisome though:
Unlike most Linux distributions, it uses a read-only root filesystem managed by OSTree and Flatpak for application delivery and update.
 Edit: 14.45 GB for the English version??? Are they packing StarWars with it? ;)
I think I'm going to go with the Basic one... only 2.19 GB! 
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

It seems that the Endless OS is a Linux equivalent of Windows 10 S and can only install software from the Endless App Center, so the answer to "Can I install the 'official' version of VitualBox?" would be a "NO!".

Quote from their Q&A: "Unfortunately, you cannot install Linux apps directly from the internet - you can only add apps that are already in our App Center. We often add new apps, so please check the App Center after system updates to find new apps you can use."
Trader_Horn
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: W3.11,Win95,Win98,WinMe,Win2000,WinXP,Linux Mint

Post by Trader_Horn »

OK many thanks. I will just have to see what happens when I try to install Debian VB in that case.