Virtual Box stoped working, Fedora 27

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
DrMN

Virtual Box stoped working, Fedora 27

Post by DrMN »

Virtual Box has stopped working as of Fedora 27.

On a freshly installed Fedora 27, installation of VirtualBox-5.2, and VirtualBox-5.1, fails with a modprob error. The error message refers the user to dmesg, but there is nothing in dmesg related to the error.

The failure is duplicated on three different machines, and has posted widely on other bulletin boards.

As far as F27 is concerned, vbox is broken.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Virtual Box stoped working, Fedora 27

Post by andyp73 »

OK, so if the modprob error refers you to dmesg and there is nothing in the dmesg output that helps then we need more detail of what the error message said in order to be able to help diagnose the issue.

I know of one user of Fedora that had a similar sounding issue that resolved it by turning off secure boot but at this point in time that is just a wild shot in the dark and could be way off target!

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Box stoped working, Fedora 27

Post by socratis »

DrMN wrote:fails with a modprob error
"A" modprobe error? Don't you think that you should have mentioned the exact error? Because if the installer fails to ping the kernel module, mainly because it's being uninstalled at the moment, that's a red-herring, it's not an earth shuttering error, it can be safely ignored.
DrMN wrote:As far as F27 is concerned, vbox is broken.
No, it's not broken. Not in the way you think it might be at least...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.