Log of VBoxNetDHCP ?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
gdargaud

Log of VBoxNetDHCP ?

Post by gdargaud »

Hello all,
is it possible to get a log of what VBoxNetDHCP is doing ?
I don't see anything in MyVM/Logs/VBox.log or ~/.VirtualBox/VBoxSVC.log

The reason is that I'm trying to boot a test real-time OS in a VM and it doesn't get an IP, only a 169.* dummy IP. I've tried various modes (NAT, host-only, etc)

A 'ps' tells me that it's running as:

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetDHCP --ip-address 192.168.15.3 --lower-ip 192.168.15.4 --mac-address 08:00:27:C4:C3:66 --need-main on --netmask 255.255.255.0 --network natnet1 --trunk-type whatever --upper-ip 192.168.15.254
I killed it and launched it from the command line, adding -v, -vv, -vvv and I get this when I boot my VM:

Code: Select all

frame: cb=0052 dst=ff ff ff ff ff ff src=08 00 27 dc b2 07 type=0800
Any idea what is going on ?
Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Log of VBoxNetDHCP ?

Post by socratis »

I'm not sure that you're supposed to launch VBoxNetDHCP from the command line... And no, there's no log AFAIK...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gdargaud

Post by gdargaud »

Well, launching from the command line didn't seem to break my other VMs, they could boot and get their IP just fine.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

That doesn't mean that they were using the same instance of VBoxNetDHCP.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.