Connection errors

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
robbyx
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: WinXP

Connection errors

Post by robbyx »

A friend has asked me to find out why she can not use VB on Ubuntu 14.04

I assume that the second message can be cleared by a reinsall of the VB program from the VB wib site. If I sort out the second message is the first one likely to be cleared as well or is that likely to be a different problem?:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine NEW22Jan2015XP.
The virtual machine 'NEW22Jan2015XP' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}

RTR3InitEx failed with rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)

The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox. The installation of VirtualBox was apparently not successful. Executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

may correct this. Make sure that you do not mix the OSE version and the PUEL version of VirtualBox.

where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what: 4 VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912) - The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the user.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Connection errors

Post by socratis »

robbyx wrote:If I sort out the second message is the first one likely to be cleared as well or is that likely to be a different problem?
Most probably yes. But it's going to take a lot less time to try it actually...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You probably have a mixture of two different VirtualBox programs on this PC: the distro/fork version and the real version from this site. You would need to completely commit to one or the other. Support is only available on this site for users of the official version.
robbyx
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: WinXP

Post by robbyx »

Do you have any instructions as to how to remove the distro/fork version and install the real version. I am assuming that it has to be purged but I cannot recall the command line.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

robbyx wrote:I cannot recall the command line.
Google/Bing/other should be your friend. There are more than one ways to skin a cat; apt-get, dpkg, Synaptic, other... I prefer Synaptic myself.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.