Upgrade from 5.2.4 to 5.2.6, and the VM can't be resumed

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
devsk

Upgrade from 5.2.4 to 5.2.6, and the VM can't be resumed

Post by devsk »

How is it possible that a minor upgrade breaks something as simple as the ability to resume from an old snapshot?

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine livecd.

ich9pci#0: Device in slot 0xc0 has been removed! vendor=0x8086 device=0x2448 [ver=2 pass=final] (VERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Is anyone seeing this too? Is there a manual way to make this work? I desperately need to access this VM and can't afford to lose the saved state.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Upgrade from 5.2.4 to 5.2.6, and the VM can't be resumed

Post by andyp73 »

devsk wrote:How is it possible that a minor upgrade breaks something as simple as the ability to resume from an old snapshot?
The resume process expects its world to be exactly as it left it. An upgrade, however minor, may change that due to new features / fixes / regressions / inadvertently added bugs!
devsk wrote:Is there a manual way to make this work? I desperately need to access this VM and can't afford to lose the saved state.
I would downgrade back to 5.2.4 until such a time as the need for the VM isn't so desperate, then shut it down properly and then do the upgrade.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

devsk wrote:How is it possible that a minor upgrade breaks something as simple as the ability to resume from an old snapshot?
That shouldn't happen, at least not between minor versions. It's classified as a bug. Is this reproducible?
devsk wrote:Is there a manual way to make this work?
Andy gave you the proper directions; downgrade to whatever version you were using, shut the VM down normally and then upgrade VirtualBox.

But, before you do that, the developers might be interested in taking a look at your saved state and the accompanying "VBox.log". So, keep a backup of your ".sav" file and attach a ZIPPED VBox.log, if you can, before downgrading/restoring/shutting-down/upgrading.
andyp73 wrote:An upgrade, however minor, may change that due to new features / fixes / regressions / inadvertently added bugs!
That was exactly my thinking about a week ago, when I learned that this is the case between major revisions. A 5.2.4 to a 5.2.6 problem, is something worth taking a look at...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Any particular reason for using the ICH9 chipset? Just curious... it's not default for anything but macOS for a good reason. The implementation is incomplete and has known bugs, which is the reason for marking it as "experimental".