[Solved] Difficulties installing Virtualbox 5.2.6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
JMA92410
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.12
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows

[Solved] Difficulties installing Virtualbox 5.2.6

Post by JMA92410 »

Hello. Can you help me upgrade VirtualBox. Since the new version has been released, I do not manage to have it installed (whereas up to now I have always managed somehow). I am far from a Linux / Ubuntu expert !
My host is Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS (xenial)
I have currently VirtualBox 5.1.30
When I download the new VirtualBox version package, I ask to install it with Package Installer, the window just says done, but VirtualBox has not been updated.
I try to run the following command : sudo dpkg -i 9913_0_virtualbox-5.2_5.2.6-120293~Ubuntu~xenial_amd64.deb
and I get the following messages :

dpkg: regarding 9913_0_virtualbox-5.2_5.2.6-120293~Ubuntu~xenial_amd64.deb containing virtualbox-5.2:
virtualbox-5.2 conflicts with virtualbox
virtualbox-5.1 provides virtualbox and is present and installed.
dpkg: error processing archive 9913_0_virtualbox-5.2_5.2.6-120293~Ubuntu~xenial_amd64.deb (--install):
conflicting packages - not installing virtualbox-5.2
Errors were encountered while processing:
9913_0_virtualbox-5.2_5.2.6-120293~Ubuntu~xenial_amd64.deb

Thank you for any help you may provide !
Jean-Marie
Last edited by socratis on 9. Feb 2018, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Difficulties installing Virtualbox 5.2.6

Post by socratis »

You need to uninstall/purge the old VirtualBox version and install the new one. Use your favorite uninstall method for that, be it dpkg, apt-get, Synaptic, etc. I tend to like Synaptic, I'm more of a GUI person...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ChrisMW

Post by ChrisMW »

If using synaptic, just remove 5.1 and install 5.2. There's no need for a 'complete removal'. That should work fine. Depending on your clients, you might want to consider
1. Linux clients need 5.2.7 of the guest additions, otherwise the graphics will not start
2. There are some reports that Windows clients have sound issues, starting with 5.2.x, so if you like skyping from within your windows client, you might want to read a few posts.
3. Downgrading is almost as easy as upgrading, so don't overthink things too much :wink:
JMA92410
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.12
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by JMA92410 »

Thank you Socratis and ChrisMW
Following your advice, I installed Synaptic (I liked the option of doing a partial removal, because I was afraid of losing my virtual machines). Then I installed the deb package again using dpkg, and it worked fine.
Thank you so much !
All the best to you
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

JMA92410 wrote:I liked the option of doing a partial removal, because I was afraid of losing my virtual machines
Removing a program (think of LibreOffice) does not remove the program's data (think spreadsheets). VMs are data to VirtualBox. Not configuration or settings or part of the program...

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.