Asustor NAS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
AndrewL

Asustor NAS

Post by AndrewL »

I am not sure who updates the version of VirtualBox available on Asustor NAS ADM, but the current version is 5.1.14.r01

Which previously was a good version. We run a Windows 10 VM on it, which was running fine. But with the latest windows updates it requires version 5.2 for some reason. I have tested it on our windows hosts, with 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2, and it will only run with 5.2.

I am hoping this gets to the person who updates it, and that they consider updating it to 5.2, I would be eternally grateful.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Asustor NAS

Post by socratis »

AndrewL wrote:I am not sure who updates the version of VirtualBox available on Asustor NAS ADM
That would be the people in Asustor? We don't even know what this "thing" is or what it does...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
neobr

Post by neobr »

AndrewL wrote:I am not sure who updates the version of VirtualBox available on Asustor NAS ADM, but the current version is 5.1.14.r01

Which previously was a good version. We run a Windows 10 VM on it, which was running fine. But with the latest windows updates it requires version 5.2 for some reason. I have tested it on our windows hosts, with 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2, and it will only run with 5.2.

I am hoping this gets to the person who updates it, and that they consider updating it to 5.2, I would be eternally grateful.
Just make sure to not upgrade ADM to 3.0.5.RDU1 for now or your VMs will not boot up on VirtualBox 5.1.14 anymore.

A lot of customers are facing this problem and waiting for an update of the VirtualBox app or Asustor ADM.

Regards.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

neobr wrote:waiting for an update of the VirtualBox app
An update that does what exactly? I'm still not clear about this part...
Win10 (host or guest) requires constant updates of VirtualBox (or the Guest Additions). 5.1.x won't cut it and the fixes are not backported (mostly).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
neobr

Post by neobr »

socratis wrote: An update that does what exactly? I'm still not clear about this part...
Win10 (host or guest) requires constant updates of VirtualBox (or the Guest Additions). 5.1.x won't cut it and the fixes are not backported (mostly).
I would like to paste the link to a thread in the Asustor forum for you to understand better but my registration here in the forum is recent, sorry.

Basically the latest ADM update (the Asustor NAS operating system) made the current version of VirtualBox (5.1.14.r01) stop running, no matter what OS is installed on the VM.

We already opened a ticket on Asustor support and are waiting for something to be done, probably some update of the VirtualBox app (or maybe another fw update for the NAS) will be available soon.

Sorry about my bad english and best regards.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

neobr wrote:I would like to paste the link to a thread in the Asustor forum for you to understand better
I don't need to read about problems with Asustor, there are enough issues to read about a standalone VirtualBox. This is a problem with Asustor, and there's nothing could/should do about it. Unless it is clearly shown that it's a VirtualBox issue, and so far it hasn't.
neobr

Post by neobr »

socratis wrote:I don't need to read about problems with Asustor, there are enough issues to read about a standalone VirtualBox. This is a problem with Asustor, and there's nothing could/should do about it. Unless it is clearly shown that it's a VirtualBox issue, and so far it hasn't.
Oh, ok, no problem. My intention was just to alert the colleague who opened this thread to not update his equipment before verifying that the problem has been solved :)
AndrewL

Post by AndrewL »

Thank you Neobr, I wasn't sure if Asustor made the app or VirtualBox made it themselves, as in the app store it said it was maintained by Vitualbox. I am glad Asustor knows about it.
neobr

Post by neobr »

AndrewL wrote:Thank you Neobr, I wasn't sure if Asustor made the app or VirtualBox made it themselves, as in the app store it said it was maintained by Vitualbox. I am glad Asustor knows about it.
Hi AndrewL,

This is the thread I mentioned yesterday (I can post links now :D ): https://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9482

Best regards.