Seamless mode ceases to function after upgrading from 5.1 to 5.2

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
VoiceActor

Seamless mode ceases to function after upgrading from 5.1 to 5.2

Post by VoiceActor »

Hi,

In case what happened to me can help others:

My host OS is Xubuntu Linux 64 bit, and for about a year I had been running a Windows 7 Guest OS using VirtualBox, so that I could run BlackBerry Blend without logging out of linux.

Recently, upon being prompted to update my VB version during launch, I followed through and upgraded from VB 5.1 to 5.2. The VM continued to run fine, but Seamless Mode no longer behaved as expected. Invoking Seamless Mode now would result in the VB being completely invisible (though it still responded to input). All I could do was turn off Seamless mode and either run in a window or in full screen mode (both of those worked).

To resolve this, I manually uninstalled 5.2 and re-installed 5.1 and then everything worked the way it should again, my WIndows 7 VM was unaffected.

It was a simple matter of:
sudo apt-get remove virtualbox-5.2
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-5.1

Hope that helps someone somewhere somehow!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Seamless mode ceases to function after upgrading from 5.1 to 5.2

Post by socratis »

Thank you 'VoiceActor' for the feedback. This is a known problem (ticket #17304) and it has been fixed with the 5.2.7 test builds (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.