Must I install a GUI on the CentOS server?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
bcd

Must I install a GUI on the CentOS server?

Post by bcd »

Hello,
This may be a silly question but ...
I have a CentOS 6 server with no GUI installed. I do everything via putty and the command line.

If I install VirtualBox do I have to install and use a GUI to run it? Or can everything still be done via the command line?

If I must have a GUI, can you recommend a link for a good one to setup?

Thanks in advance.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Must I install a GUI on the CentOS server?

Post by mpack »

Linux host experts will no doubt be along, but AFAIK you'll be fine unless you want to run a guest which requires a GUI, since of course the guest GUI is implemented on the host GUI.
bcd

Post by bcd »

Great. My guest doesn't have a GUI either so I'll give it a go. Thanks for the quick response.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@bcd, take a look at the User Manual, ch. 7.1.3 Step by step: creating a virtual machine on a headless server.

I knew I had seen something like that, it just took me some time to find it again. "headless", "server", are not good search terms for the manual... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bcd

Post by bcd »

@socratis thanks for the reference. It will prove very useful. Much appreciated.