Virtualbox won't start anymore

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
bryanwillis7

Virtualbox won't start anymore

Post by bryanwillis7 »

I'm on Ubuntu 16.04 host trying to run windows7. I've had virtualbox for a year and zero issues. Suddenly today whenever I tried running my window7 virtualmachine, it would immediately freeze the host. No sputtering, no lagging, just boom. Freeze. I looked around on this forum and saw that I should uninstall and reinstall the latest version. So I tried that. Now whenever I try starting my windows7 virtual machine, I get some error messages that I don't really understand. Is there a way I can simply get my virtual machine back without having to delete everything and reinstall windows? I had a lot of files on this VM prefix, and I'd rather not start my VM over.
RTR3InitEx failed with rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)

The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox. The installation of VirtualBox was apparently not successful. Executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

may correct this. Make sure that you do not mix the OSE version and the PUEL version of VirtualBox.

where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what: 4 VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912) - The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the user.
The virtual machine 'win7' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox won't start anymore

Post by socratis »

bryanwillis7 wrote:Make sure that you do not mix the OSE version and the PUEL version of VirtualBox.
You didn't completely uninstall/delete/purge the forked version that you had installed, before you installed the official VirtualBox. Please try to clean your system.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bryanwillis7

Virtualbox immediately freezes Ubuntu Host

Post by bryanwillis7 »

Fresh install of virtualbox on a newly created drive, virtualbox will 100% totally freeze my computer, forcing me to manually restart it. I have no idea what's caused this, because in the past I've been able to run Virtualbox with no issues whatsoever. But then within the last few months, suddenly my virtual drive would start freezing. I couldn't get it to work, so I decided to uninstall/delete/purge virtualbox and start fresh. Same issue.

I'm on Ubuntu 16.04 with 8 gigs of ram and an Nvidia Gtx 960 video card, and I'm running Virtualbox 5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130 I reinstalled virtualbox using sudo-apt get install virtualbox

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Again, the strange part of this is how well it worked one minute, and then one day it just wouldn't start anymore. I don't know what could cause this. No settings were changed at all on virtualbox.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I merged your post, with your previous post. They're the same in nature and provide context. Plus, you never actually replied to the first one...
bryanwillis7 wrote:I'm running Virtualbox 5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130
It looks like you're using the distro's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads).

If that doesn't work you should try the latest test builds (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds), especially with all the Spectre/Meltdown patches coming in from all sides.
bryanwillis7 wrote:Again, the strange part of this is how well it worked one minute, and then one day it just wouldn't start anymore. I don't know what could cause this.
Host updates? Most certainly...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bryanwillis7

Post by bryanwillis7 »

I get this error below with the newest software 5.2.6 AMD64.

https://i.imgur.com/1gLiGC9.jpg (image link** For whatever reason these forums aren't embedding the image)
I don't have a clue what this is or how I should go about fixing it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@bryanwillis7
1) Do not link to other sites. Not a lot of people go to 3rd party sites.
2) You cannot attach images outside of this domain.
3) You should always attach images here:

Now, your problem still remains the same. You have not cleared your system. You still have the old VirtualBox (the Ubuntu one) mixed with the official VirtualBox, or there's somehow a mixup in the versions. In any event, you need to remove all the VirtualBox packages from your system and start fresh.

This is the third time I'm telling you the same thing... Please take some action.