Autostart with display

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
DSX

Autostart with display

Post by DSX »

Hi everyone,

I followed a tutorial to autostart my vm at boot and it works but without displaying anything (it seems it's headless). But I want it to be with the display.

How can I force the vm to be displayed ?

Thanks

Regards
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Autostart with display

Post by socratis »

The desktop belongs to a user. If no user is available to "own" the desktop, who does the display belong to?
I'm not sure what you're trying to do here, but it sounds like you want to start the computer and "face"/"be" in the VM-land. Say you're running a Linux host and a Win guest, you'd like to be greeted by the VM login, not the host login. Is that what you're trying to do?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DSX

Re: Autostart with display

Post by DSX »

Yes it is. My Linux host is configure to doesn't ask for a login. After the desktop comes, I would like the VM starts and shows me the display in fullscreen mode.

I've tried 2 methods to do that. The first is by a script which start the VM with "vboxmanage startvm" and this script is call by the auto start program in the LXSession manager.

The second method is by using autostart functionnality but it doesn't works any times. When I start my computer 3 times, the VM starts just once.

Furthermore, with the first method, there are sometimes an issue (just the first time, when the boot is ended) :

Code: Select all

Title : Error in the supR3HardenedPosixInit
Failed to hoook the dlopen interface (rc=-3776)
Please try reinstall Virtualbox
where: supR3HardenedPosixInit what: 1
VERR_SUPLIB_TEXT_NOT_WRITEABLE (-3776) - Unable to make text memory writeable (hardening).
If I launch the script by my own after validate this error, the VW start normally.

I've tried to Google this error, but I only find sources of VirtualBox (.h files and other). If you have some informations on this error, please let me know.

For the method with autostart, I found rdesktop-vrdp which can get me the display. Then, if you have a solution to enable autostart after many reboots, it gonna be great.