[solved] rc=-1912 error even after /sbin/vboxconfig

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Fabi

[solved] rc=-1912 error even after /sbin/vboxconfig

Post by Fabi »

Hi,

virtualbox started to freeze on my Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia 64-bit very much like describe elsewhere on this forum. I therefore updated to 5.2 using the sources.list option, and got the rc=-1912 error as described on other posts too.

Unfortunately, running

Code: Select all

sudo /sbin/vboxconfig
didn't solve the issue in my case. Any suggestion on how to move forward from here? Thanks!
Last edited by Fabi on 20. Jan 2018, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: rc=-1912 error even after /sbin/vboxconfig

Post by socratis »

You're not quite describing your situation, and trust me, I really don't have the slightest idea what "other posts" means. To me it could be posts from ArsTechnica, Slashdot or Engadget. For you, it's open to interpretation. Please state your problem clearly next time...

But based on the little that I can guess, you must have installed your distro's fork of VirtualBox. You need to completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads). If you get an error message about mixing PUEL and standard versions, you haven't completely removed the fork.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Fabi

Post by Fabi »

trust me, I really don't have the slightest idea what "other posts" means
My apologies, the forum wouldn't allow me to post links on my first post here.

I followed the instructions following the post entitled "[Solved 5.2.6] Freezes on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial, Dell Optiplex 9010" , because my VB also started to freeze everything on my laptop a couple of weeks ago. So I removed my distro's VB with:

apt purge virtualbox virtualbox-qt virtualbox-ext-pack
Then I added /debian xenial contrib to my sources.list, updated my repos, and installed VB 5.2.6 . After running /sbin/vboxconfig:

mowglie@flappi-top ~ $ sudo /sbin/vboxconfig
vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
and launching VB, I get the following error:
Selection_015.png
Selection_015.png (35.15 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
I agree that it indicates that something is not OK with my distro's packages, but I don't know how to clean it better than using apt purge ...

Thanks for your help!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Fabi wrote:I agree that it indicates that something is not OK with my distro's packages, but I don't know how to clean it better than using apt purge ...
Same here, I'm a n00b in the Linux arena, well sort of. I'd try the "apt-get purge" again and do a reboot. Maybe some service didn't want to get unloaded?

But it's best if a Linux guru pops in and guide you through the intricacies of apt-get...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

apt is a great program and one I use all the time, but it requires you to know a lot and do a lot of things manually ( which I prefer because it has super cow powers ). That said it is not for everyone. If you do not know all of the file names and how they are written ( case ) it does not work properly. You can either search for different variants of Virtual, virtual, VBox, or vbox, or you can use aptitude instead of apt.
Fabi

Post by Fabi »

Purging everything with the name virtualbox in it made the trick:

apt purge virtualbox-dkms virtualbox virtualbox-dbg virtualbox-guest-additions-iso  virtualbox-guest-source virtualbox-guest-utils  virtualbox-guest-x11 virtualbox-qt virtualbox-source
Now I still need to find out how to install the ext-pack from the new sources but at least the VB is working fine. Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [solved] rc=-1912 error even after /sbin/vboxconfig

Post by socratis »

Am I the only one that does an "apt-get purge virtualbox*", "apt-get purge vbox*"?
"Kill them all";)
Fabi wrote:Now I still need to find out how to install the ext-pack from the new sources
Sources? There are no sources for the ExtPack, it's closed source.
VirtualYerong

Post by VirtualYerong »

But what if I what the latest version of virtualbox? With

sudo apt install virtualbox
we can only get virtualbox 5.0.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualYerong wrote:But what if I what the latest version of virtualbox?
You head to the official Linux Downloads page and you read the instructions. I don't think I should be copying/pasting them here...