Virtual Box Whonix Gateway Kali Linux Problem

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
saucygirl

Virtual Box Whonix Gateway Kali Linux Problem

Post by saucygirl »

I am running Whonix Gateway and Kali Linux in Virtual Box. WG runs fine and connects to Tor as it should with all updates done. Kali however once configured to connect through Whonix Gateway will not connect. When I eth0 ifdown etc it gives me a eth0 not configured command?? Why?

Kali looks to Whonix in Settings and Network.
I have set up the resolv.config settings etc correctly in Kali etc.

Just keep getting that message back in a terminal in Kali and can't figure out the problem?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Virtual Box Whonix Gateway Kali Linux Problem

Post by Perryg »

When I eth0 ifdown etc it gives me a eth0 not configured command?? Why?
Most likely because almost every Linux OS out there is changing the eth to something else and also the if* in ifconfig to something else as well. Consult kali to see what you should use.
saucygirl

Post by saucygirl »

Thanks for the reply. :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Perryg wrote:Most likely because almost every Linux OS out there is changing the eth to something else
I've noticed some eth3 and eth8 and eth(0...n) in various Linux distros, never thought about the "why", even though it kinda bothered me. Perryg do you have a good explanation for that? Any naming standard?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Some are using enp2s0 instead of eth* and replacing ifconfig with net tools an ip. All thanks to our systemd folks IMHO.

As for seeing eth3 or eth8 this usually happened when the Mac address or network adapter has changed. Don't remember anything else causing it.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Got it.
I believe that the technical term for this behavior is called "a mess", but I could be wrong... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Cobo

Post by Cobo »

I've seen "eno" instead of "eth" (e,g, "eno1") more than random seeming ones like "eth8" myself.

FYI ifconfig/ifupdown should be installed already, "ip" command as well. (Related note: ifup/ifdown may not work these days, only full command: "sudo ifconfig eth0 up{or down}"
(You mentioned .config, so I assume you added a new line (and only line) in "/etc/resolv.conf" and added where the adapter looks in "etc/network/interfaces")

Forgive me if I misunderstand the issue, but what if you input something like: "sudo ifconfig -a" or "ip a"
or even better: "sudo lshw -class network -short"
Then you can see if eth0 is indeed your adapter, or if it has another name.

Of course if you need to verify what one of the adapters listed is, to be sure: "ip a s {adapter name}"
or you can check the default name to start with if it helps: "ip a s eth0"

Also, "/run/network/ifstate" should be configured correctly,(e.g. eth0=eth0, etc., and check if your device is listed)

BUT - Rebooting the system could solve an issue like this as well. It's what I'd try right after checking the adapter names.

I just noticed how old this thread is, so this is probably too little AND too late...my apologies if so.