[Solved 5.2.6] PC locks up

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
tjohnson_nb

[Solved 5.2.6] PC locks up

Post by tjohnson_nb »

For some reason VirtualBox just began locking up my Dell laptop. As soon as I start the VM the computer becomes unresponsive and has to be powered off.
Last edited by socratis on 17. Jan 2018, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: PC locks up

Post by socratis »

I'm impressed by the amount of information that you gave us to work with! (nothing?)
Do you want us to start guessing what your host is?
What your VirtualBox version is?
What your guest is?
How powerful your computer is?
How much RAM it has?
What exactly do you mean by "locks up"?

If you say "it's just freezing", the best advice I have, is "turn on the thermostat"! :D

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tjohnson_nb

Post by tjohnson_nb »

There is nothing in the VM log. Once I press Start the computer freezes. I'm running Kubuntu 16.04, VirtualBox 5.0.40, on a Lattitude with 4G of RAM. The Guest O/S is Windows 7. I got this from the kern.log

Code: Select all

[   33.333584] vboxdrv: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
[   33.333762] vboxdrv: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
[   33.337288] vboxdrv: Found 4 processor cores
[   33.356272] vboxdrv: TSC mode is Invariant, tentative frequency 2712000569 Hz
[   33.356273] vboxdrv: Successfully loaded version 5.0.40_Ubuntu (interface 0x00240000)
[   33.536287] VBoxNetFlt: Successfully started.
[   33.560442] VBoxNetAdp: Successfully started.
[   33.595837] VBoxPciLinuxInit
[   33.611393] vboxpci: IOMMU not found (not registered)
tjohnson_nb

Post by tjohnson_nb »

I just upgraded to Version 5.26 and it worked, thanks anyway.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

tjohnson_nb wrote:VirtualBox 5.0.40
tjohnson_nb wrote:For some reason VirtualBox just began locking up
The reason was that you updated your host, while keeping an old VirtualBox version. Part of the ongoing S/M saga. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.