[Solved] Starting VM crashes host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Dangerous Dave

[Solved] Starting VM crashes host

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Hi

My host is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (64 bit), running on a new (September 2017) HP Zbook laptop with a Nvidia Quadro M2200 graphics card.
My linux kernel is currently 4.13.0-26-generic.
I have VirtualBox 5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130 running windows 10 (64 bit) as guest.
The system has 15.8Gb of RAM. The virtual machine has access to 9Gb of RAM.

Since last september, everything has been working great. But last week I tried to install (for the first time) the drivers for the Quadro.
It was then that I performed a series of system updates & upgrades (including new linux headers) which broke the virtual machine.
Now, everytime I try to start guest the host system crashes and I have to power-off and restart the computer.

As far as I know, guest additions were installed in the guest - I have didn't set up the VM, but in ~/.config/VirtualBox I do have the iso image VBoxGuestAdditions_5.0.40.iso and VM did work well for several months.

Right now, I do not have either a VBoxStartup.log or VBoxHardening.log.

My VBoxSVC.log file is attached. The log files for the VM are void.

I tried setting the file permissions for nvidiactl, nvidia-modeset and nvidia-uvm in /dev/ to 0666, but this had no effect.

When updating and upgrading the system virtualbox-guest-utils was removed. If I try to reinstall it apt says it will delete xorg. That scares me so I have not tried.

Both dkms and virtualbox-dkms are installed. Following the update of the linux headers I did run sudo modprobe vboxdrv.

I do not know what I should try next.
Attachments
VBoxSVC.log
(2.49 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Last edited by socratis on 16. Jan 2018, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Starting VM crashes host

Post by socratis »

Dangerous Dave wrote:I have VirtualBox 5.0.40_Ubuntu
Completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge that version (that's the Ubuntu fork) and install the latest test build.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Great!! This worked perfectly, first time. Many thanks for your help. :D
Last edited by socratis on 16. Jan 2018, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Sure thing. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.