Need help copying file from virtualized Windows 7 environment

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
gil_happy

Need help copying file from virtualized Windows 7 environment

Post by gil_happy »

Hello,

I have been successfully running VirtualBox on my Mint Linux PC where I have been vituralizing Windows 7. Everything has been working great whenever I needed to switch over to Windows 7, but recently, when I click on "==> Start" to open Windows 7, my Linux PC completely locks up after a few seconds of trying to load Windows. I think it might be due to a lack of space when I created the Windows 7 environment (only 25GB). After performing all of the Windows updates, I received pop up about low space (or something similar).

Rather than try to troubleshoot this right now, I am looking to copy of couple of documents from Windows 7. Does anyone know where, or what directory the Windows desktop is from Linux? Basically, I want to copy a file from the Windows desktop directory to my Linux PC.

Hopefully that makes sense?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Need help copying file from virtualized Windows 7 environment

Post by mpack »

The Windows desktop is not part of the Linux host filesystem. In fact the VM should be viewed as a separate PC. Meaning, you can only access data on the other PC using shared folders, and only when that other PC is running.

That other PC may slow down, but it should not "completely lock up" no matter how congested it gets. However, this can happen if you made other mistakes, i.e. by over or under committing resources, e.g. all cores to the VM (leaving none for the host), only one core to the VM (so "background" tasks have to use foreground CPU), too much or too little RAM, disk space, graphics RAM, etc.

It would help a great deal if we saw a VM log file and didn't have to speculate about this. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

gil_happy wrote:running VirtualBox on my Mint... but recently... my Linux PC completely locks up after a few seconds of trying to load Windows.
Recently means "after I updated my host". I think you're running "VirtualBox 5.0.40_Ubuntu" as seen from the "VBoxManage --version" command. If that's the case (even if not), completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge that version and install the latest test build.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gil_happy

Post by gil_happy »

mpack wrote:The Windows desktop is not part of the Linux host filesystem. In fact the VM should be viewed as a separate PC. Meaning, you can only access data on the other PC using shared folders, and only when that other PC is running.

That other PC may slow down, but it should not "completely lock up" no matter how congested it gets. However, this can happen if you made other mistakes, i.e. by over or under committing resources, e.g. all cores to the VM (leaving none for the host), only one core to the VM (so "background" tasks have to use foreground CPU), too much or too little RAM, disk space, graphics RAM, etc.

It would help a great deal if we saw a VM log file and didn't have to speculate about this. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Thanks, I just recreated the 'crashing' scenario (just open up VirtualBox, and then try to 'start ==>' Windows 7). Once my PC locked up, reboot it and then grab the log as mentioned.
Attachments
VMBox-Text.txt.tar.gz
(28.22 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

An rtf converted log is not useful to me. I gave rather precise instructions, I'd like them to be followed.