[Solved 5.2.6] Freezes on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial, Dell Optiplex 9010

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ge96

[Solved 5.2.6] Freezes on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial, Dell Optiplex 9010

Post by ge96 »

I have a quad-core, 16GB, virtualization enabled in BIOS, CPU is i7 3770

I'm not sure what is causing this error where when you try to start a VM it just freezes.
As in a complete OS freeze, have to restart.

I was following this thread here as I had this error previously:
under ask ubuntu: 900794/virtualbox-rtr3initex-failed-with-rc-1912-rc-1912

I tried to run Ubuntu and Debian

Thanks for any hints/suggestions

edit: not sure if this is related to me, I'll try a 32bit guest os
vboxorg - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53677
Last edited by socratis on 17. Jan 2018, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Freezes on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial, Dell Optiplex 9010

Post by socratis »

I think you're running "VirtualBox 5.0.40_Ubuntu" as seen from the "VBoxManage --version" command. If that's the case (even if not), completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge that version and install the latest test build.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ge96

Post by ge96 »

@socratis

Okay I will try that.

I'm not sure I was reading a thread mentioned above about hyper-v and that virtualization has to be able to access this to run. I don't know if my computer by having that enabled is using it so Vbox can't use it?

At any rate I'll try again. I did purge completely and then installed what I thought was the right one.

It would be sad if I couldn't get Vbox to run on this computer as I bought it with more memory specifically to run Vbox haha. Could consider alternatives/docker/(varnish?) and others (kubernetes) haha not being completely serious as my needs are pretty basic/don't need multiple instances, just running specific web stacks.

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

From the time that I replied to you, until now, 5.2.6 is out, so try that one: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ge96

Post by ge96 »

I'm trying it out but I think I'm missing some main problem if it immediately freezes when I try to start it.

I have ran Vbox on a desktop running Ubuntu as the Host os and then another Ubuntu os as the guest os so it's doable, just not sure what's up with my desktop.

I don't have a Windows OS on it.

Edit: OOHHHHH!!! No freezing, still typing as vbox runs.

Thanks man!

Grabbed the Ubuntu Xenial release for 64bit and used dpkg install

Nice!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
davidd6sr

Re: [Solved 5.2.6] Freezes on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial, Dell Optiplex 9010

Post by davidd6sr »

Sorry for the "me too" post, but I've been fighting this all day, with the exact same host hardware configuration as the original post, and I just had to bump this up.

The default virtualbox that comes with Ubuntu Xenial (5.0.something) will NOT work with a 64-bit guest. Not sure what the root cause is. I went through a bunch of iterations of BIOS configs and virtualization settings. Every time I launched the VM, it would hard-lock the host OS requiring a cold reboot. No logs were generated. No errors reported.

To fix it, I purged the distro-installed virtualbox. I then Installed 5.2.6 form the website, rebuilt the kernel modules (done simply by rerunning /sbin/vboxconfig), and I'm back in business installing win7 64 bit. Well done.

For searching, the host is: Dell Optiplex 790, CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, running Linux Ubuntu 16.04.3 (xenial).
Last edited by davidd6sr on 15. Feb 2018, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved 5.2.6] Freezes on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial, Dell Optiplex 9010

Post by socratis »

@davidd6sr
It had nothing to do with your specific hardware, it had to do with the fact that you were running the Ubuntu fork (their latest is 5.0.40_Ubuntu) with the latest Jan/2018 kernel updates. That causes a freeze on the host. No matter the host...