[Solved] 'RTR3Init failed with rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)' error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Critical_Error

[Solved] 'RTR3Init failed with rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)' error

Post by Critical_Error »

Hi,

I initially installed Virtualbox 5.1.30-dfsg-1 from the snap store on my Ubuntu 17.10 machine. I had created a Windows 7 and REMnux virtual machine using this version of virtualbox.

Was in need of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 support so went on to download the 'VirtualBox 5.2.4 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' only to get an error stating the extension pack was incompatible with the current version of Virtualbox I had installed.

So I went on to uninstall 5.1.30-dfsg-1 and install the latest version 5.2.4 r119785. I then decide to install the extension pack before launching my WIndows 7 VM only to get the 'RTR3Init failed with rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)' error. I tried launching my REMnux VM only to get this same error as well.

What can I do to fix this?

Here is a more detailed info on the error:

Code: Select all

The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox. The installation of VirtualBox was apparently not successful. Executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig' may correct this. 

Make sure that you do not mix the OSE version and the PUEL version of VirtualBox.

where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what: 4 VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912) - The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the user. 
Last edited by socratis on 14. Jan 2018, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
Critical_Error

Re: 'RTR3Init failed with rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)' error

Post by Critical_Error »

I've been able to resolve the issue. The steps I took to do so include:

sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo /sbin/vboxconfig
Everything seems to be fine now.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 'RTR3Init failed with rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)' error

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.