Windows 10 Virtual Machine on Mint 18.3

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Oz32

Windows 10 Virtual Machine on Mint 18.3

Post by Oz32 »

Hi,
Few days ago I've installed Mint 18.3 on my laptop and VirtualBox with a Windows 0 virtual machine. Everything worked perfectly till yesterday, now everytime I run the virtual machine everything freeze and the only thing that I can do is shutdown the laptop with the power button. I've already tried to re-install VirtualBox and create the virtual machine with also different ISO files, but it always freezes in the same way.
Is there someone that can help me?
Thanks a lot.

Oz
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Windows 10 Virtual Machine on Mint 18.3

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Oz32 wrote:with a Windows 0 virtual machine
Bill Gates?
Is that you???

(sorry, couldn't resist :D)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Oz32

Post by Oz32 »

I checked the logs folder but the software has create only 3 empty log files, I guess because the virtual machine doesn't actually start, it might be?
Thanks for the replies.

Oz
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Just shooting in the dark here, but can you please uninstall whatever VirtualBox version you have installed on your host and install the latest test build (≥120181) for 5.2.x?

See also viewtopic.php?f=7&t=86216 plus there were a couple of instances where the host was affected (freezing) due to Linux kernel updates (think Meltdown/Spectre).

BTW, before you uninstall the current version, what's the output of "VBoxManage -version"?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Oz32

Post by Oz32 »

Thanks for all the support,
It seems that the latest version of VirtualBox that I can install is 5.0.40, if I try to download and install more recent packages, I got this error from the installer:

Dependency is not satisfiable: libqt5core5a

Is there something else that I can try?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yes. 1) satisfy the dependencies, or 2) get the generic version.

Come to think about it, what did you try to install? Everything in the Test Builds (except the RedHat ones) is a generic version. Actually there are only two; the 32- and the 64-bit ones. Which one did you try to get? Exactly please...

If you want to use the latest version for your host/guests, you should also consider doing the same for VirtualBox and the rest of your libraries, they're interconnected.