Disk getting full - SCSI

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
linuxisthebest

Disk getting full - SCSI

Post by linuxisthebest »

Hi. I've converted a vmware image (to be specific, PWK's course vm) with ovftool.
I've imported it and deployed it correctly into VirtualBox.

The problem is that after a few hours (2-5) i get a warning that disk is full. I just reboot and everything works fine.

Is it due the SCSI disk type or how can i fix it?
I have another 4 VM's with no problems.

Thank you.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Disk getting full - SCSI

Post by mpack »

You get a warning that which disk is full?

No, it has nothing to do with being a SCSI disk. You get disk full indications when a disk is full, not for any other reason. The most common reason for this IME is that the disk is not as large as the user thinks it is, e.g. they may be running from a RAM disk because the OS is not actually installed to the VM. The fact that a reboot clears the problem is more evidence of this mistake (RAMdisk contents are lost on a reboot).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
linuxisthebest

Post by linuxisthebest »

Thanks for your response. Let me do that and i will post it.

Regards
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

While posting a log is always a good idea, I'm not sure how the log will show that the guest OS is running from a ramdisk. I suggest that you check that yourself.
linuxisthebest

Post by linuxisthebest »

mpack wrote:While posting a log is always a good idea, I'm not sure how the log will show that the guest OS is running from a ramdisk. I suggest that you check that yourself.
How do i check that?

I attach the log to this post.
Attachments
pwkvbox.zip
(29.44 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I don't know of any direct way to tell that you're running from a ramdisk, but it would normally be associated with a CD boot, and there is no CD in the virtual drive. Also the list of tasks loaded at boot time would be limited, e.g. I would not expect the GAs to be loaded, but they are. So, probably not a ramdisk boot.

So, there must be something else wrong with this guest.

I just checked the size of the drive, and it's 60GB, so certainly the drive is large enough. That probably leaves a mistake in drive partitioning as being the cause of the problem, that certainly can't be diagnosed from the VM log. Except, I have no idea why that would be affected by a reboot. You probably need to ask about this on a Linux support site.