After applying security patches from Ubuntu, VirtualBox hangs whole Ubuntu box when starting a VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
tmarkwalder

After applying security patches from Ubuntu, VirtualBox hangs whole Ubuntu box when starting a VM

Post by tmarkwalder »

After updating the security patches available from Ubuntu, attempting to start my previously working VMs hangs the whole box. I have to cold boot it. (Security patches for CVE-2017-5715, CVE-2017-5753, CVE-2017-5754).

1. Launch VirtualBoxManager
2. Pick any of my three VMs
3. Click start
4. Console window for VM appears
5. Everything hangs ... no mouse/keyboard input, cannot ssh in... nothing

uname -a:

Linux wild-dog 4.13.0-26-generic #29~16.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 9 22:00:44 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Everything was fine yesterday before the patches, I've been using the VMs for weeks.

VirutalBox version is 5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130 (which is the latest available thru Ubuntu). If I want to install 5.2.4, I have to uninstall this first.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: After applying security patches from Ubuntu, VirtualBox hangs whole Ubuntu box when starting a V

Post by socratis »

tmarkwalder wrote:VirutalBox version is 5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130 (which is the latest available thru Ubuntu)
You're using the Ubuntu's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tmarkwalder

Re: After applying security patches from Ubuntu, VirtualBox hangs whole Ubuntu box when starting a V

Post by tmarkwalder »

I will post there. Anyone out there successfully running the official version from VirtualBox (5.2.4, I believe) with these patches on Ubuntu 16.04?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

There were some patches for VirtualBox, that were affecting Linux, that were applied after the kernel updates (r70498). Almost all of them were guests that were crashing/failing to boot, you're the first host to report such an issue. But, on the other hand, you're on the forked version as well.

It might worth giving the official VirtualBox a shot. But, try the latest test build: ≥120181 for 5.2.x (or ≥120178 for 5.1.x) that contains the fix.

If the Ubuntu fork is still at 5.0.40, I really, really doubt that they have the fixes incorporated, or that they have a workaround available. I'm willing to bet against it actually... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tmarkwalder

Post by tmarkwalder »

The test build you recommended does indeed work for me, VirtualBox-5.1.31-120178-Linux_amd64.run.
I had some shenanigans with the old one not getting completely deleted and what not but I can run my VMs AGAIN!

I did post to Ubuntu's forum so at least they'll be aware of the issue.

THANKS!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback!
I'll wait for a couple of confirmations more before I mark this as [Solved].