Complete freeze

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
nucknem

Complete freeze

Post by nucknem »

Hello ! I need your help.
Every time I start a virtual machine my entire computer freezes and I have to turn it of by pushing the power button. I had absolutely no problems yesterday, and at first I thought my problem was genymotion (Android emulator that uses virtualbox to work) but no, my other machines do the same thing. I have looked at the logfiles but they are completely empty, I assume it's because I have to force my computer to turn off every time, the only thing I have is the genymotion log. I'm on Linux Mint and I'm using Virtualbox 5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130.

Genymotion log (Uploaded here because the file is too big for this forum):
htt p s://ufile.io/vub7k
trochdewei

Re: Complete freeze

Post by trochdewei »

Did you have any USB devices attached to VM? I ran into a similar problem - Ticket #17114 in vbox bugzilla
nucknem

Post by nucknem »

Just my mouse, but this has never caused a problem before.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

nucknem wrote:I'm on Linux Mint and I'm using Virtualbox 5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130.
You're using the Ubuntu's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads).

Same thing for Genymotion...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jagwar

Post by jagwar »

I do have same problem, is there any solution yet?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jagwar

Post by jagwar »

I do had same problem, but it is gone now. what i did is just uninstalled it, removed completely using "apt-get autoremove/purge VirtualBox" then downloaded from official page instead of install from ubuntu appstore and installed it now it's back on track again.....