Oh no! Something has gone wrong.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
dhalv001

Post by dhalv001 »

Hello,

I am trying to use VirtualBox to run the Virtual CentOS 7 Disk Image that is located at: https://www.linuxtrainingacademy.com/vdi/. Each time I attempt a normal boot up I get an error message that states:
A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. Please contact a system administrator.
I'm running Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) on an AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core Processor with 8 GB ram, I already enabled SVM in the BIOS (it allows virtualization) ... prior to enabling SVM, I wasn't given the option to install a 64 bit Linux system in VirtualBox (the current install is a 64 bit system w/ 1024 MB of RAM). I had no trouble booting up Ubuntu 16.04 in VirtualBox, so I'm not sure where the problem is coming from.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?
Attachments
VBox.log
Vbox log
(121.84 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Last edited by socratis on 11. Jan 2018, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed obfuscated URLs.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Oh no! Something has gone wrong.

Post by Perryg »

CentOS-7.2-1511-x86_64-gnome.vdi

Code: Select all

VirtualBox VM 5.2.4 r119785 win.amd64 (Dec 18 2017 15:47:18) release log
00:00:13.864938 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.1.4 r110228 '5.1.4'
The guest additions are probably your issue and the fact that they are too old to work with the OS properly. When you see the message try pressing the host+F1 hot key and see if you can enter a tty window and then update the guest additions to match your running version of VirtualBox. I have also seen some that had to install a newer ( test build ) to get CentOS working properly.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Oh no! Something has gone wrong.

Post by socratis »

One other thing to try (and more educational) would be to try and install CentOS from the ISO, like you would do in a normal computer. It's not going to take you more than 1/2 hour...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.