Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
gusowihi

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Post by gusowihi »

Hi guys
I updated my Debian kernel and now I'm getting this error

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

as root.

If the way how I installed VirtualBox matter so I as remember I downloaded 5.1.30 from virtualbox,org and install *.deb package. But I wish to use debian fork cause maybe it's more secure and I update it using update upgrade

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Post by socratis »

If you want to use the latest version for your host/guests, you should also consider doing the same for VirtualBox. As of this writing, that would be version 5.2.4. Or you could try the latest test builds for the latest improvements.
gusowihi wrote:But I wish to use debian fork cause maybe it's more secure and I update it using update upgrade
No, it is not more secure. It's considered a fork and it's not supported in these forums. If you want to use the "upgrade/update", check the instructions at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.