VirtualBox on LXLE

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
JohnStraumann

VirtualBox on LXLE

Post by JohnStraumann »

Hello all:

I am trying to run VBox on LXLE Linux, but hitting an error "VirtualBox kernel modules do not match the version of VirtualBox". I checked the version of LXLE Linux and it says it is Ubuntu 16.04.03, and I am pretty sure I downloaded the right version of VirtualBox. I also tried to follow posts on this and other forums detailing adding/removing packages, but nothing has worked. When I try to start a VM I get that error. Does anyone know a fix and/or know if perhaps VBox simply cannot run on LXLE?

Thanks for any and all advice.

John.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: VirtualBox on LXLE

Post by Perryg »

That error usually means you are trying to run/install 64 bit on a 32 bit machine. What is the exact complete kernel version of the host, and what is the version package information of VirtualBox?
JohnStraumann

Re: VirtualBox on LXLE

Post by JohnStraumann »

Hello Perryg:

thanks for your response. yes I think you are correct, I had been downloading the i386 version because the 64bit version name was "amd", but after a closer look at the docs (RTFM!!) I saw that the amd64 version is the one to sue regardless of whether the processor is AMD or Intel. Of course, I had also already installed Ubuntu over LXLE, but I chalk it all up to learning so no harm done!

John.