[Solved] Resize guest window hardlocks Fedora 27

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
MeleeIkon

[Solved] Resize guest window hardlocks Fedora 27

Post by MeleeIkon »

Fedora 27, Gnome, Virtualbox 5.4 - latest versions as of 12/30/2017. I resize a guest window (usually linux) and everything hardlocks. ctrl+alt+backpsace, ctrl+alt+F1-12, alt-sysreq-r, alt-sysreq-k. ssh in and init 3 && init 5, sudo reboot just hangs. Nothing works.

Core i7-4770k
Asus Z97-A Prime
16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum
MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 570
Last edited by MeleeIkon on 4. Jan 2018, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Resize guest window hardlocks Fedora 27

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or paused state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error.
  3. Shut down the VM (if it hasn't aborted by itself). Not saved or paused. Completely shut down. If you can't shut it down by normal means, close the VM window and select "Power off".
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (only the first VBox.log), ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MeleeIkon

Post by MeleeIkon »

I think I wasn't explicit enough. The HOST hardlocks to the point where I can't even call reboot from ssh.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Oh... I see...
Shooting in the dark: graphics card drivers? Still, a log of the VM would be a good thing to have. Please ZIP and attach the last one failed attempt, even if you couldn't shut down the VM, i.e. after rebooting the host, start from step #4 above...

You are in front of the host, right? No remote desktop or VNC or anything like that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MeleeIkon

Post by MeleeIkon »

I got it figured out.

No, no remote desktop, physically at the host.

I had to replace the Nouveau drivers with the proproetary nvidia drivers which required going to init 3, then disabling Nouveau, rebooting and then installing the nvidia drivers.

I can now resize the window.

Funny thing to note, Fedora 27 had the same issue on my 3rd gen Core i7 with a nVidia GT640. Again with the stock drivers. I had the issue and decided to upgrade the machine with the 4th gen hardware.

I do _not_ have that issue on Ubuntu 16.04 and 17.10 or Debian 9.3. Seems limited to only Fedora 27.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Resize guest window hardlocks Fedora 27

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. And thank you for marking it as [Solved]... ;)