[Solved] Cannot use VirtualBox because Mouse Integration not available (Virtual Machine is useless)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ccm

[Solved] Cannot use VirtualBox because Mouse Integration not available (Virtual Machine is useless)

Post by ccm »

LinuxMint 18.3 AMD64 is the Host Machine
Windows 10 Pro AMD64 is running in the Virtual Machine (running without mouse so is useless)

Oracle VM VirtualBox 5.2.4 r119785 (Qt5.6.1). Installed using virtualbox-5.2_5.2.4-119785_Ubuntu_xenial_amd64.deb downloaded from Virtualbox website and installed using Linux Mint Software Manager

Keyboard is working fine
Mouse is not working at all (which makes VM completely useless). Menu -> Input -> Mouse Integration is grayed ( cannot use ). When tried to use mouse inside VB window comes "VirtualBox Information: You have clicked the mouse inside the Virtual Machine display.... etc... Capture..." only option available is to Capture or Cancel so the mouse is useless... which turns the Virtual Machine useless.

Expansion Pack installed using Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.2.4-119785.vbox-extpack downloaded from VirtualBox website and installed successfully by VirtualBox itself
Last edited by socratis on 30. Dec 2017, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot use VirtualBox because Mouse Integration not available (Virtual Machine is useless)

Post by socratis »

I'm going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  2. With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  3. Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
I would also like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ccm

Re: Cannot use VirtualBox because Mouse Integration not available (Virtual Machine is useless)

Post by ccm »

Thanks "socratis" for the quick answer.

I solved by

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge virtualbox*

then reinstalled file virtualbox-5.2_5.2.4-119785_Ubuntu_xenial_amd64.deb
then reinstalled file Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.2.4-119785.vbox-extpack

Just now reinstalling Windows 10 Pro and now I can see the Mouse is enabled and working fine.

P.S.: most probably my mistake because did first installation virtualbox 5.2 for other Ubuntu newer than Ubuntu_Xenial and the latest Windows Mint 18.3 is based on Ubuntu_Xenial and then, second mistake, installed correct version without purge the first installation... my bad... twice
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No problem, that's a definite way to learn... :D
Keep in mind that only the official VirtualBox is supported here. If you use the distro's fork, you can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads). You could still use 'apt-get', if you follow the instructions in the Debian-based section if the Linux downloads...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ccm

Post by ccm »

Yes, I confirm I am using Official VirtualBox (including the extensions) version to run latest Windows 10 Pro 64 on Linux Mint 18.3.
All is working fine so far except USB (but for that issue will open a new topic).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ccm wrote:All is working fine so far except USB (but for that issue will open a new topic).
Great idea (to create a new topic), but before you do that, read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts. If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post and include the requested information in that new topic. Hopefully you won't have to create one. ;)
ccm

Post by ccm »

Followed your recommendation. Read all tutorial regarding USB devices.
Now USB 3.0 is working fine. No trouble at all.

Congratulations for this well organized Forum
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as (double) [Solved] ;).
Chris ML

Re: [Solved] Cannot use VirtualBox because Mouse Integration not available (Virtual Machine is usele

Post by Chris ML »

Hello. I am brand new to Virtual Box. It looks like I am receiving the same error (cannot use Virtual box because mouse integration is not available) on an earlier thread. Following the VM directions to press the host key to uncapture the keyboard and mouse does not work). I am unable to use the virtual machine. I am attaching the documentation requested by the administrator in this thread from 2017. Thank you so much for any help!
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-07-19 165850.zip
(80.52 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: [Solved] Cannot use VirtualBox because Mouse Integration not available (Virtual Machine is usele

Post by mpack »

Actually the OP was asked for a VM log, not a screenshot from the VirtualBox manager GUI.

Also, I don't believe there is any "error", as mouse integration is not required by VMs. VirtualBox does give you a warning that mouse integration is not available (that warning dialog contains a checkbox so it can be disabled), the warning usually only means that the VM is not (in that moment) running in a graphics mode capable of shadowing the host's mouse cursor. This happens with text based OS's, or OS's that flip to a text mode even if only occasionally.

If you need further help then please start your own topic, describe your actual problem, and provide a VM log: make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip to your new post.