Stop VM time sync.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
emy101

Stop VM time sync.

Post by emy101 »

I have a windows 7 ultimate VM guest on an Ubuntu 16.04 host. I have guest additions installed but wish to permanently slow down the guest time rate to 7% of the host and prevent the guest from syncing its time to the host OS after its installation; these I did with the following at command line:

>>>VBoxManage setextradata "guest VM" "VBoxInternal/TM/WarpDrivePercentage" 7

>>>VBoxManage setextradata "guest VM" "VBoxInternal/Devices/VMMDev/0/Config/GetHostTimeDisabled" 1

The result is as expected with one exception: when the guest is shut down and restarted, its time is synced with the host; any suggest on permanently shutting down guest os time sync function will be appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Stop VM time sync.

Post by socratis »

emy101 wrote:any suggest on permanently shutting down guest os time sync function will be appreciated.
You can't do it as far as I know. These settings that you modified are valid as long as the VM is up and running. You'll have to keep reverting the clock at each VM's boot.

Synchronization *is* disabled. What you're looking for is the "initial value", which doesn't exist.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

I remembered seeing a similar thread with a workaround some years ago:
viewtopic.php?p=122063#p122063
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You're absolutely correct Martin, I stand corrected, there *is* an "initial value" (or offset if you prefer). For reference, here's the complete command:
VBoxManage <uuid|vmname> modifyvm --biossystemtimeoffset <msec>
This specifies a fixed time offset (milliseconds) of the guest relative to the host time. If the offset is positive, the guest time runs ahead of the host time.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.