How to start VM without all files?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Dirk_Lehmann

How to start VM without all files?

Post by Dirk_Lehmann »

Can I anyhow start this VM because deleted a file by mistake?
Could not open the medium '/home/dirk/Ubuntu/Snapshots/{80aa3f9f-078c-460e-8a55-9874115ce753}.vmdk'.
VD: error VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND opening image file '/home/dirk/Ubuntu/Snapshots/{80aa3f9f-078c-460e-8a55-9874115ce753}.vmdk' (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).

Fehlercode:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Komponente:
MediumWrap
Interface:
IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}

Die Plattenabbilddatei /mount/kvm/VM/Ubuntu/Snapshots/{4d42bd4c-e52a-40ce-8ae9-9369bef3005d}.vdi konnte nicht geöffnet werden.

Parent medium with UUID {21d95127-f87a-45fe-a586-6b6fb1792ab8} of the medium '/mount/kvm/VM/Ubuntu/Snapshots/{4d42bd4c-e52a-40ce-8ae9-9369bef3005d}.vdi' is not found in the media registry ('/home/dirk/.config/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml').

Fehlercode:NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Komponente:MediumWrap
Interface:IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}
Callee:IVirtualBox {0169423f-46b4-cde9-91af-1e9d5b6cd945}
Callee RC:VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
How to?

Possible to undelete file deleted with command rm?

DL
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to start VM without all files?

Post by mpack »

Best answer: restore the missing file from your last backup.

Otherwise. All you can do is revert the VM to the next older state, if it will let you. Everything done to the VM from the moment the deleted snapshot was created, will be lost.
Dirk_Lehmann

Post by Dirk_Lehmann »

Is there a way to "undelete" a deletion with rm on a mounted drive? Do not have a good backup :-(
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

That is a Linux question, not a VirtualBox question, but I'll attempt an answer.

In my experience the chances of success when undeleting a file will depend on (a) how large the file was (small is better, like a meg or less), (b) how much the drive has been used since the deletion. In my experience undeleting a disk image file is a waste of time - orders of magnitude too large to stand any reasonable chance of putting that jigsaw together, plus I suspect you didn't stop using the disk either - not that it matters, since even leaving it alone there was zero chance of an undelete.

Warning: there are an infinite number of scam sites that will be happy to sell you software to recover your file. They'll charge you money or get your email address, but at the end of the day you will not get your file back. I don't believe I've ever heard anyone I trust claim to have done it successfully.
Dirk_Lehmann

one full saving point missing (deleted by mistake) - possible to fix with earlyer saving point?

Post by Dirk_Lehmann »

How to get a vm up and running again by mistake deleted /home/dirk/Ubuntu/Snapshots/{80aa3f9f-078c-460e-8a55-9874115ce753}.vmdk (saving point 10). Got only saving point 6 (/home/dirk/Ubuntu/Ubuntu-disk1.vmdk) and latest diffential (/home/dirk/Ubuntu/Snapshots/{2978e54f-1da9-4507-bfdf-ab697f44f672}.vmdk) but saving point 10 (/home/dirk/Ubuntu/Snapshots/{80aa3f9f-078c-460e-8a55-9874115ce753}.vmdk) is deleted by mistake. Is there a way to fix this with full saving point 6 in conclusion with still existent saving point 11 (differential) ?!?
Attachments
Help! saving point deleted. Does vm not get up
Help! saving point deleted. Does vm not get up
Bildschirmfoto vom 2017-12-23 23-14-21.png (77.88 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
Dirk_Lehmann

Post by Dirk_Lehmann »

It was impossible to undelete the file and backup does not exist with this file.

Any hint or solution anyway, please see screenshot here: forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=85998 above.
[Mod edit; the two threads were merged]
Dirk_Lehmann

Post by Dirk_Lehmann »

Any possibility to fix this without the possibility to recover this file?!?

Code: Select all

Parent medium with UUID {a2201bc9-ac96-4423-b4c1-2a1865a58f27} of the medium '/mount/kvm/VM/Ubuntu/Snapshots/{21d95127-f87a-45fe-a586-6b6fb1792ab8}.vdi' is not found in the media registry ('/home/dirk/.config/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml').

Fehlercode:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Komponente:
MediumWrap
Interface:
IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}
Callee:
IVirtualBox {0169423f-46b4-cde9-91af-1e9d5b6cd945}
Callee RC:
VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I merged your two threads, there was no meaning at all in having two threads.

The only state you can revert to is the one that starts with {83527...}, that's it. That or the one before that. Nothing after the one that's missing. You can't resurrect something that's deleted, that's how it works.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dirk_Lehmann

recover virtual maschine by differential snapshots

Post by Dirk_Lehmann »

I was wondering if anybody can help me or can explain me how to recover a virtual machine with different snapshots on RAID1 with ext4. The origin *.vdmk file (and maybe other files regarding the vm) on LVM partition for the host was deleted by me accidentily because running out of space on /home/dirk.

Instead should be the virtual maschines and their files on the raid /mount/kvm/..

Why I was able to delete the directory and files of running vm on /home/dirk without crashing vm or get a warning don't I know. But after recent reboot virtualbox manager is missing those files and can not start the virtual maschine.

I have set the path for virtual machine in virtualbox console on /mount/kvm in general and other virtual machine is successfully on this RAID-volume. So in future this RAID should run every vm and gets also backuped.

Now I have differential snapshots of vm which is currently not more running on the RAID-volume and on backup but missing vdmk and further files from /home/dirk

Is there a possibility to get the virtual machine running again with the data of those Snapshots and how to?

I also called Oracle but no response, regarding this, yet.

Hope to find anybody, any company or any consultant who is able to recover this virtual maschine with the help of those two snapshots of vm (snapshots from yesterday).

DL
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: recover virtual maschine by differential snapshots

Post by mpack »

If you deleted the base VMDK then the disk is gone, and there is no way to recover it without a backup.

Snapshots are patch scripts. If they have nothing to patch then they are utterly useless.

Snapshots are NOT backups.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I merged your "new" issue with the same exact previous one. If you keep opening new threads about issues that have been already answered (but not to your satisfaction), the next one might end up in /dev/null...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dirk_Lehmann

Post by Dirk_Lehmann »

I read this an going to buy support. Some data must still exist in the snapshots!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, good luck with that.
General Melchett (BlackAdder Goes Forth) wrote: If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through!
Dirk_Lehmann

Post by Dirk_Lehmann »

Is mpack answer official statement to this issue by oracle company? If vmdk is lost, then no possibility to get up vm again with the "help" of the differential snapshot files?
Dirk_Lehmann

Post by Dirk_Lehmann »

Sara: I am sorry, I am not technical support so I do not know what kind of answer you would get if you did purchase the enterprise virtualbox support item. However, since the item is rather expensive for a single user, it might not be worth the expense if there is a good chance the answer is similar to what the forum moderators said (that it is not recoverable).
Sara: It might be better if you did start over from scratch.
Dirk Lehmann: Running Ubuntu Linux with Virtualbox on sdd and vm path to hdd (raid) with backup to ext. drive. Is that reliable to run vms?