Unattended install fails to start on CentOS 7 host (#17335)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Greg Bailey

Unattended install fails to start on CentOS 7 host (#17335)

Post by Greg Bailey »

I opened bug #17335 against VirtualBox 5.2.2 running on a CentOS 7.4 host when trying to use unattended installs:

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17335

I just tried again on VirtualBox 5.2.4, and the same problem persists. Am I supposed to report bugs AND post a topic in this forum? Or is the bug report supposed to be sufficient? It doesn't look like anyone looked at the bug, and I'm assuming the bug wouldn't be too complicated to fix (wrong path name).

Thanks!
Last edited by socratis on 21. Dec 2017, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket to the title.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unattended install fails to start on CentOS 7 host

Post by socratis »

Greg Bailey wrote:Am I supposed to report bugs AND post a topic in this forum?
The traffic in the forum is about 20 times more compared to that of the bug tracker (that' just my gut feeling, a guesstimate). It's usually better and faster, if issues get first addressed in the forums. More than 95% of the issues are resolved over here, which keeps the developers focusing on the bug fixes and enhancements, and there is no need for another ticket to keep track of.
Greg Bailey wrote: It doesn't look like anyone looked at the bug, and I'm assuming the bug wouldn't be too complicated to fix (wrong path name).
That's why you first post in the forums; to get a confirmation. And the tickets do get looked at, that's for sure. Now, that doesn't mean that you'll get an immediate answer or action. Because if a promise is made, a promise must be kept. And the developers (wisely) never promise anything to anyone... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
WildSAR

Re: Unattended install fails to start on CentOS 7 host (#17335)

Post by WildSAR »

I just added some additional info to this ticket.
- a script to reproduce the bug (from scratch) using Debian rather than RedHat/CentOS
- a workaround that does not require a symbolic link.

Let's hope this gets addressed. It could just be a packaging issue, but the code could be made robust to deal with packaging introduced bugs.
adasiko
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, QNX, Haiku, OS X

Re: Unattended install fails to start on CentOS 7 host (#17335)

Post by adasiko »

Same thing...
Virtualbox 6.1.16 on Ubuntu 20.04

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/virtualbox/UnattendedTemplates /usr/share/virtualbox/UnattendedTemplates
And it's working