[Solved] VNC headless

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
miguelg

[Solved] VNC headless

Post by miguelg »

I've set up a Ubuntu machine which I intend to run in headless mode. After playing around with the settings, I managed to set up the remote display server to use the VNC extension pack. However, when connecting to it with Remmina, it asks for a password but the authentication method is set to "Null". I've looked everywhere and couldn't find a way around this annoying limitation.

Why is it asking for a password and how can I set it up as to not ask for one?
Last edited by socratis on 16. Dec 2017, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: VNC headless

Post by Perryg »

The VNC extension pack inclusion was basically set up to aid users that did not want to install the official version of the extension. Usually this is only used from a distro or user self compiled versions of VirtualBox so as far as support there is not much. So the question is are you running the distros fork of VirtualBox or are you building your own shake-n-bake version?

Also is the password that is being asked for the remote login or the OS password?

A guests log file ( as an attachment ) would help to answer these questions.
miguelg

Post by miguelg »

Hi Perryg!

Thanks for the reply.

The password being asked is for the remote login; no username is asked for, just a password. As for the version I'm using, it is 5.0.40_Ubuntur115130 on Ubuntu 16.04.03 and Linux 4.4.0-101-generic, installed via the distro's own package manager.

I've attached the latest guest log file, as per requested -- apologies for not doing so in my OP.
Attachments
VBox.log
Latest guest log
(64.97 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

You really should read section 9.23 of the users manual. Other than that you would need to ask the Ubuntu folks ( it is their fork ) or switch to the official version from virtualbox.org.
miguelg

Post by miguelg »

Perryg wrote:You really should read section 9.23 of the users manual. Other than that you would need to ask the Ubuntu folks ( it is their fork ) or switch to the official version from virtualbox (dot) org.
Perfect! Reading the relevant section of the manual uncovered the setting I needed to tweak:

VBoxManage modifyvm "VM name" --vrdeproperty VNCPassword=secret

Once I set a password, I could then connect to the remove display.

Thanks Perryg!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
itoss

Re: [Solved] VNC headless

Post by itoss »

Did you compile virtualbox by yourself or how do you get vnc working ?
itoss

Post by itoss »

Perryg wrote:You really should read... of the users manual. Other than that you would need to ask the Ubuntu folks ( it is their fork ) or switch to the official version from virtualbox.rg.
Does the official vbox package installed from the vbox debian repo support VNC ootb ?