How to Mount a Flash Disk or System storage ISO in VB under Linux Mint

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
FriendDavid

How to Mount a Flash Disk or System storage ISO in VB under Linux Mint

Post by FriendDavid »

Hello,

I do not want to waste time so I am going to error on the side of giving too much info.
I have followed the installation guide for VB and everything went well up to the part where it takes the ISO on the flash disk and uses it directly to gain a VM OS.
For easy references, this is taken from the
Oracle Virtual Box Installation and User Manual.
"Chapter 1. First steps
1.8. Running your virtual machine
1.8.1. Starting a new VM for the first time
When a VM gets started for the first time, another wizard -- the "First Start Wizard" -- will pop up to help you select an installation medium. Since the VM is created empty, it would otherwise behave just like a real computer with no operating system installed: it will do nothing and display an error message that no bootable operating system was found.
For this reason, the wizard helps you select a medium to install an operating system from.

A. If you have physical CD or DVD media from which you want to install your guest operating system (e.g. in the case of a Windows installation CD or DVD), put the media into your host's CD or DVD drive.
Then, in the wizard's drop-down list of installation media, select "Host drive" with the correct drive letter (or, in the case of a Linux host, device file). This will allow your VM to access the media in your host drive, and you can proceed to install from there.

B. If you have downloaded installation media from the Internet in the form of an ISO image file (most probably in the case of a Linux distribution), you would normally burn this file to an empty CD or DVD and proceed as just described. With VirtualBox however, you can skip this step and mount the ISO file directly. VirtualBox will then present this file as a CD or DVD-ROM drive to the virtual machine, much like it does with virtual hard disk images.

For this case, the wizard's drop-down list contains a list of installation media that were previously used with VirtualBox.

If your medium is not in the list (especially if you are using VirtualBox for the first time), select the small folder icon next to the drop-down list to bring up a standard file dialog, with which you can pick the image file on your host disks.

In both cases, after making the choices in the wizard, you will be able to install your operating system.
I have situation B. And I have the ISO on a Multiboot Flash drive and I have copied it to several HD location including the desktop of the VM that I am trying to get started; Linux Mint Mate Desktop. The VM just will not accept the ISO from any of these places. I get a message:
FATAL: No bootable mecium found! System halted.
You have the Auto capture Keyboard option turned on. This will cause the Virtual Machine to automatically capture the ..

The ISO is there in many places but VB does not see it, how do I get it to use any one of the instances?

Thanks,
David
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to Mount a Flash Disk or System storage ISO in VB under Linux Mint

Post by mpack »

Mounting an ISO is easy. Just mount it using the VM settings | Storage panel. Then boot the VM. VirtualBox doesn't care where the ISO is located, provided it's in a drive or folder which the host can read.