Problems with VB 5.2..2 on Ubuntu 16.04.03

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jmcollins

Problems with VB 5.2..2 on Ubuntu 16.04.03

Post by jmcollins »

I seem to have 2 problems with VB 5.2.2 on this and I've had to go back to 5.1

Firstly every time the kernel is rebuilt and with it the VB module the extension pack seems to have to be reloaded (I had this on previous 5.2 versions)

Secondly the "remote desktop" doesn't seem to work any more. I am starting it from the VB gui but I want to be able to "call in" to the VM from a remote location when needed. It just doesn't seem to be setting up the TCP ports.

All is fine with 5.1 so I've had to go back to that but I'd be grateful for any comments.
burdi01
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

Re: Problems with VB 5.2..2 on Ubuntu 16.04.03

Post by burdi01 »

No problems with VB 5.2.2 on [X]Ubuntu64 16.04.3 over here ...
:mrgreen:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

jmcollins wrote:every time the kernel is rebuilt and with it the VB module the extension pack seems to have to be reloaded
Does that mean that if you go to VirtualBox Preferences » Extensions, the ExtPack is not showing? AFAIK, the ExtPack does not depend on the kernel being updated or not. It doesn't have to be rebuilt or reinstalled. Just only to match the existing VirtualBox version.

BTW, you're not using the VirtualBox from the Ubuntu store, are you? Because that's not the official one, that's the forked version. Please post the output of the command:
  • VBoxManage -version
as well as a ZIPPED VBox.log from a complete startup/login/shutdown the guest (not from/to a saved or paused state, clean startup, clean shutdown). ZIP it first, it helps save a (virtual) tree or two...
jmcollins wrote:the "remote desktop" doesn't seem to work any more.
If you have issues with the ExtPack, then that's to be expected, since VRDP is a feature of the ExtPack. Which make the first part of your question the really relevant one.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jmcollins

Post by jmcollins »

The symptom regarding the extpack is that when I start a VM it says that USB isn't supported and I'll have to load the extpack. When I do that (again) it runs OK (except that VRDP still doesn't work)

Yes I'm using the one from the VB site not anything from Ubuntu store

Vboxmanage -version says "5.2.2r119230"

I'll do a log on another machine and post that shortly.

Thanks for your help.
jmcollins

Post by jmcollins »

Further to my previous message I attach the last 2 log files with VB 5.2.2

Thanks
Attachments
vblogs.zip
Last 2 logs with 5.2.2
(65.85 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

jmcollins wrote:The symptom regarding the extpack is that when I start a VM it says that USB isn't supported and I'll have to load the extpack.
I'm sorry, but I still don't get it. Does the ExtPack show when you go to the VirtualBox preferences? Yes or no? I don't honestly understand why you have to keep re-installing something that's already installed and activated.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jmcollins

Post by jmcollins »

Well I've reinstalled 5.2.2 and it all seems to be working now RDP and everything.

See what happens next time Ubuntu decide to upgrade the kernel (which they wouldn't do that quite so often)