Windows 10 VM crashes 5.2.2r1 on Ubuntu 17.10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
randomguy

Windows 10 VM crashes 5.2.2r1 on Ubuntu 17.10

Post by randomguy »

I'm on Ubuntu 17.10 x64 running 5.2.2r1 for 17.04. The system has SSD and 16GB RAM.
My Windows 10 VM (64-bit) crashes the VM and VBox.

It was created with default settings, but now some are different because of my experimenting to see if some non-default settings help.
The VM has 4GB RAM, 2 CPU, and I just use it to open 1-2 tabs in Chrome and play slide-shows from PowerPoint 2016.

The way it crashes doesn't coincide with high workload, sometimes it happens when I'm typing in the guest CLI, for example.
The VM becomes unresponsive for about 10-15 seconds, and then both the VM and VBox crash and I have to restart VBox.

It seems some logs get collected but can't be uploaded to Ubuntu because my VBox DEB package is not from the distro. I don't know what parts of the binary may contain sensitive work data, so I'd like to share relevant parts of VBox.log. I looked at the file and couldn't find anything like "error", "crash" or "stop". Now I'm tailing to log to see if I can see what happens when it crashes, but it hasn't crashed yet.

What else may be helpful to debug this?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 VM crashes 5.2.2r1 on Ubuntu 17.10

Post by socratis »

randomguy wrote:but now some are different because of my experimenting
Well, how about returning the settings to their defaults? That would be a good start. If you don't remember, create a new VM. Compare the settings.
randomguy wrote:can't be uploaded to Ubuntu because my VBox DEB package is not from the distro.
Why don't you ZIP the VBox.log and upload it over here?
randomguy wrote:I don't know what parts of the binary may contain sensitive work data
1) It's not binary, it's a text file, and 2) there is no "sensitive" data in a fake computer, so please don't try and obfuscate anything in the log, it's going to make it from harder to impossible to decipher. And you don't want to make my life difficult, do you? ;)
randomguy wrote:I looked at the file and couldn't find anything like "error", "crash" or "stop".
And most probably you won't. That's not what's been logged in the VBox.log.
randomguy wrote:Now I'm tailing to log to see if I can see what happens when it crashes, but it hasn't crashed yet.
You won't see that in the log either. It doesn't work like dmesg.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

socratis wrote:Well, how about returning the settings to their defaults? That would be a good start. If you don't remember, create a new VM. Compare the settings.
Sure, although the crashes are happening the same way before vs. now.
socratis wrote:Why don't you ZIP the VBox.log and upload it over here?
I cleaned the old logs before I started serious troubleshooting, but since then it hasn't crashed. I've been trying to crash it since yesterday. (Un)fortunately it hasn't happened yet.
socratis wrote:It's not binary, it's a text file
I mean the app crash logs collected by Ubuntu's $whatever-that-crash-log-gathering-thing-is-called contains the log as well as core files (which would be a problem). I know VBox.log is only a text file; if it doesn't contain anything sensitive I can share it.

I'm hoping the VM crashes this weekend so that I can upload my log file soon.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

randomguy wrote:I'm hoping the VM crashes this weekend
You're "hoping" for a crash? :D
I know that's not what you meant, but, oh boy, that sounded really funny!!! :D
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.