VirtualBox With Kernel 4.15

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Particle

VirtualBox With Kernel 4.15

Post by Particle »

Has anyone had any luck getting VirtualBox 5.2 working with Linux kernel 4.15.0-rc1? I'm assuming that VirtualBox just hasn't caught up to 4.15 yet like how 4.14 needed 5.2, but I wanted to check. I'm using a Vega 64 GPU, so I need the display support added to 4.15 and can't drop back to 4.14 without video output not working correctly.

VirtualBox prompts me that the kernel driver isn't installed when I try to start any virtual machine and that I should run /sbin/vboxconfig. When I do, this occurs:

Code: Select all

Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxdrv.service → /lib/systemd/system/vboxdrv.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxballoonctrl-service.service → /lib/systemd/system/vboxballoonctrl-service.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxautostart-service.service → /lib/systemd/system/vboxautostart-service.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxweb-service.service → /lib/systemd/system/vboxweb-service.service.
vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
vboxdrv.sh: failed: Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run
  /sbin/vboxconfig
as root.
I'm running Debian 9.2 with a custom 4.15.0-rc1 kernel. The kernel config is based on the stock Debian 9 kernel 4.9 config. My custom 4.14.1 kernel does work. I always build with and install the headers.

The contents of /var/log/vbox-install.log is quite extensive, so I've not posted it here. It's filled with stuff like:

Code: Select all

/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/timer-r0drv-linux.c: In function ‘VBoxHost_RTTimerCreateEx’:
/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/timer-r0drv-linux.c:1588:13: error: implicit declaration of function ‘init_timer_pinned’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
             init_timer_pinned(&pTimer->aSubTimers[iCpu].u.Std.LnxTimer);
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/timer-r0drv-linux.c:1592:52: error: ‘struct timer_list’ has no member named ‘data’
             pTimer->aSubTimers[iCpu].u.Std.LnxTimer.data        = (unsigned long)&pTimer->aSubTimers[iCpu];
                                                    ^
/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/timer-r0drv-linux.c:1593:65: error: assignment from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
             pTimer->aSubTimers[iCpu].u.Std.LnxTimer.function    = rtTimerLinuxStdCallback;
                                                                 ^
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox With Kernel 4.15

Post by socratis »

Particle wrote: I'm assuming that VirtualBox just hasn't caught up to 4.15 yet like how 4.14 needed 5.2
That would be a correct statement. 4.15-rc1 came after 5.2.2 was out, so don't expect VirtualBox to hold a magic ball that predicts the future. They're actively working at it, as in patching VirtualBox to work with 4.15. It's not even out of the RC state to begin with. Experimental features have unexpected consequences, as in... they don't work. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Particle

Post by Particle »

That's cool. I was checking in case other people had had a different experience and it was just me, but no worries. I'm a patient person and will hold on until things get caught up. Thanks for responding.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

About an hour after you posted, a test patch landed on the developer's mailing list: "Full patch for 4.15". It still hasn't made its way in the VirtualBox tree. That should tell you how cutting edge this thing is... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.