[Solved 5.2.6] VBox on Fedora 27

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VBox on Fedora 27

Post by socratis »

Lizzie wrote:Kernel has been updated
If you want to use the latest version for your host/guests, you should also consider doing the same for VirtualBox. As of this writing, that would be version 5.2.4. These days however, you should try the latest test builds.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

If you will read my posts closely, you will see that I am using the latest release of Vbox. For those of you who missed it, that is Version 5.2.4 r119785 (Qt5.9.2). If anyone has something pertinent to add that might be of some help, I would appreciate it.

Lizzie
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Lizzie wrote:If you will read my posts closely
I did read your posts closely, that's exactly why I quoted a very specific part of your last message. You however didn't read my message closely, so let me try and make it a little bit clearer:
socratis wrote:These days however, you should try the latest test builds.
Hope it's pertinent enough...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

I would like to apologize to socratis for being so snippy. I did not understand what you were suggesting that I do. After thinking about it for awhile, it dawned on me what you were suggesting. i followed your suggestion and VBox is now up and running on my laptop. Thank-you for your assistance.

Lizzie

ps - how do you change the title to show solved? Because with both computers once again running VBox I am good to go. - L
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Lizzie wrote:I would like to apologize to socratis for being so snippy
Don't sweat it, I'm Mediterranean, we... invented "snippy" :D
Lizzie wrote:i followed your suggestion and VBox is now up and running on my laptop.
Great! Now, did you install the test builds, or did you try the newly released 5.2.6? It shouldn't matter, because there were a few build differences between the two. It's more of a "Hey, there's a release available".
Lizzie wrote:how do you change the title to show solved?
You edit your first post. I'll do it if you don't mind, just because these days instead of the typical "[Solved]" I include a "{Solved 5.2.6]", just to make sure that people know that this is in response to the Spectre/Meltdown updates in the Linux kernels.
dklima

Post by dklima »

I can confirm what piters said.

After installing elfutils-libelf-devel the /sbin/vboxconfig worked as it supposed to do.

Thank you, piters for pointing this out.
piters wrote:Not sure if this helps, but on my machine (after today's upgrade) I got a similar error, and this one was not actually a problem - the problem was pointed by a few lines below and complained about missing lbelf-devel.

I did

Code: Select all

dnf install elfutils-libelf-devel.x86_64
and then

Code: Select all

/sbin/vboxconfig
and it worked...