Forced to connect to NAT network before allows Bridged Adapter connection to GigE camera

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.

Forced to connect to NAT network before allows Bridged Adapter connection to GigE camera

Postby David123321 » 20. Nov 2017, 23:39

Hi,

I am having a problem using a PointGrey GigE camera on my Ubuntu virtual machine. After spending quite some time in the dark, I was able to connect to the camera by doing the following:

1. Setting VirtualBox network as NAT
2. Waiting until Ubuntu registers a wired connection (and up/down arrows logo appears top right of screen)
3. Changing VirtualBox network to Bridged Adapter (it defaults to en0, only option)

Only after I perform the above sequence does the GigE camera appear to the FlyCapture acquisition software (and netstat -nr starts showing the GigE camera and ip address).
I am thenable to configure the camera, adjust exposure parameters, and data about sensor temperature is updated on the fly.

Unfortunately, on acquisition I get many frames dropped, and then Ubuntu disconnects and is unable to connect to the camera without going through the above sequence again. I can't be sure that the frames dropped error is due to the same cause, but certainly the disconnection and failure to re-connect until I go through the NAT/Bridged Adapter configurations is a red flag that I should figure out.

What is the likely meaning of needing to first configure the network as a NAT followed by as a Bridged Adapter? Any clues?
David123321

Return to VirtualBox on Linux Hosts