Headless Win10 guest crashes when 'Show' button is pressed

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
NginUS

Headless Win10 guest crashes when 'Show' button is pressed

Post by NginUS »

Running VirtualBox version 5.1.30 r118389 (Qt5.5.1) on Ubuntu 16.04.3 with a 64-bit Windows 10 Pro guest installed. Guest Additions are installed & current. Extension Pack is not installed, as I have no license for commercial use.

I use a vboxmanage script to run the guest headless, & it shows up in the Preview on VirtualBox Manager fine like it should. While troubleshooting firewall issues which currently prevent incoming RDP connections, I'm trying to use the 'Show' button to get a better look at an error message that appears on screen. But every time I do so it crashes, its entry changes from 'Running' to 'Aborted', & the display window still says 'Running' but is a black screen. To make matters worse, the 'X' button in the corner to close the window is ignored & I have to kill the process in konsole to be rid of it.

Half the time when I restart the guest it wants to do 'Repair Mode' from the unclean shutdown.
NginUS

Re: Headless Win10 guest crashes when 'Show' button is pressed

Post by NginUS »

bump
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If this is the Ubuntu fork then you need to ask for support on the Ubuntu forums. Otherwise provide a VM log.
NginUS

Post by NginUS »

mpack wrote:provide a VM log.
Would someone kindly advise as to how to generate &/or obtain this log, please?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

• Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
NginUS

Post by NginUS »

Due to unrelated concerns, I've re-installed the guest VM using Windows 7 now rather than 10. The issue is no longer happening- am able to 'Show' from a headless state without problems.