VBoxManage: error: Failed to create I/O manager for VM due to insufficient resources on the host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
nobot

VBoxManage: error: Failed to create I/O manager for VM due to insufficient resources on the host

Post by nobot »

I can't start a VM on CentOS 7.3.1611

vboxmanage startvm ubuntu --type headless

Waiting for VM "ubuntu" to power on...

VBoxManage: error: Failed to create I/O manager for VM due to insufficient resources on the host. Either increase the amount of allowed events in /proc/sys/fs/aio-max-nr or enable the host I/O cache (VERR_FILE_AIO_INSUFFICIENT_EVENTS).
VBoxManage: error: VD: error VERR_FILE_AIO_INSUFFICIENT_EVENTS opening image file '/path/VirtualBox VMs/ubuntu1/Ubuntu.vdi' (VERR_FILE_AIO_INSUFFICIENT_EVENTS).
VBoxManage: error: Failed to open image '/path/VirtualBox VMs/ubuntu1/Ubuntu.vdi' in read-write mode (VERR_FILE_AIO_INSUFFICIENT_EVENTS).
VBoxManage: error: AHCI: Failed to attach drive to Port0 (VERR_FILE_AIO_INSUFFICIENT_EVENTS)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component ConsoleWrap, interface IConsole
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: VBoxManage: error: Failed to create I/O manager for VM due to insufficient resources on the host

Post by Perryg »

Have you tried to do what the error message says?

Code: Select all

Either increase the amount of allowed events in /proc/sys/fs/aio-max-nr or enable the host I/O cache (VERR_FILE_AIO_INSUFFICIENT_EVENTS).
This is a host issue it seems. You can search for how to "increase the amount of allowed events in /proc/sys/fs/aio-max-nr" or just enable I/O cache.
nobot

Re: VBoxManage: error: Failed to create I/O manager for VM due to insufficient resources on the host

Post by nobot »

yes i increased aio-max-nr and it did the trick. Thanks