Trouble installing extensions on new Ubuntu17.10 host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
petebrown

Trouble installing extensions on new Ubuntu17.10 host

Post by petebrown »

Fresh install of 17.10 Ubuntu is giving me fits because of the lack of root authentication in the gui. When I install the extension pack I get the following error.

Code: Select all

Failed to run /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxExtPackHelperApp --stdout /tmp/VBoxExtPackHelper-rg9rif/stdout --stderr /tmp/VBoxExtPackHelper-rg9rif/stderr --elevated install --base-dir /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks --cert-dir /usr/share/virtualbox/ExtPackCertificates --name 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' --tarball /home/jmiller/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.2.0-118431.vbox-extpack --sha-256 005ba9211862643e2516d549e98b80942918047f1f6c55fcfe08c490dd1947bc as user root.

Unable to copy the user's Xauthorization file.
I have tried to allow gui root authentication by using the following in a terminal

xhost si:localuser:root
No luck. Any thoughts?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Trouble installing extensions on new Ubuntu17.10 host

Post by Perryg »

Install from the command line in an elevated terminal.
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08. ... ge-extpack
petebrown

Post by petebrown »

Solved. Create an .Xauthority file in your home dir by opening a terminal and typing

touch ~/.Xauthority
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I would not call that solved but rather a way to make it work. 17.10 uses wayland by default and does not have the xauthority file. Not to mention that by default root should not have access to your terminal. That said I have not researched to a level that shows whether or not this creates a security issue. My suggestion will not cause a security issue but of course you are the one that needs to decide what to do on your own system.