How to accept license agreement! (SOLVED)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
roddyshumbuc

How to accept license agreement! (SOLVED)

Post by roddyshumbuc »

Hello,

(EDIT 21/10 A note to say that this was actually a package manager list error although it appears that the VB package - a fork - caused it. Thanks to all.)

Just joined as I am experiencing my first real issue with VB.

My Update Manager has four items to install one of which is virtualbox-ext-pack version 5.1.30-2. (From PPA costa... etc.)

When starting the update I get the response from the Update Manager i.e "E:dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem"

Running the suggested solution starts OK and runs through the License Agreement but then sticks at the end of item 10 (Miscellaneous) of said Agreement. From this point on the system does nothing.

I have tried various keyboard combinations to find the correct response to what I assume is the question regarding accepting the license terms but no luck and
as you will understand there is no visible option to 'tick'. Any help appreciated :)

Running Linux MInt 18.2 'Sonya' Mate 1.18
Last edited by roddyshumbuc on 21. Oct 2017, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to accept license agreement!

Post by socratis »

It looks like you're trying to install the distro's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads).

Moving to "Linux Hosts" from "Linux Guests".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
roddyshumbuc

Post by roddyshumbuc »

HI,

Yes it is the 'fork' for my system and all my VB installations (Guest, QT etc) are from that same PPA. Soooo I do not see that this should be a problem.

As for 'purge' etc none of these commands work because this error message comes up.

I am looking for answers on my Mint forum but assume this forum will have some more know-how. (No disrespect to Mint).

So far no answers that overcome this. :?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

roddyshumbuc wrote:Soooo I do not see that this should be a problem.
I didn't say it's a problem. I said it's not supported here. You'll have to ask them what they modified in their source and it doesn't work as it should. Again, if you want to get support in the VirtualBox forums, you've got to be using the official VirtualBox distribution, not a fork.
roddyshumbuc wrote:As for 'purge' etc none of these commands work because this error message comes up.
You need to purge the VirtualBox fork packages from your system. I use "Synaptic" for my package management, but other people use "apt-get" or "dpkg". They do come with their own help files...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
roddyshumbuc

Post by roddyshumbuc »

socratis yes points noted but one tries all avenues when looking for solutions. I also think that the fact that it is the License Agreement which hangs that that is nothing to do with the 'fork' as such.

Just for info. 'purge' 'Downgrade . . ' 'apt-get' etc. all come back with that same error and I have exhausted those options.

Failing anything else I will probably have to find and delete the package/file manually via File Manager. :roll:

Bye.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Reading this I find I have some questions about the hosts stability. You said that running some commands returns that you need to execute dpkg --reconfigure -a, correct? This is a host command and one that does not necessarily have anything to do with VirtualBox. So my question is, if you open a terminal and run the command as stated what exactly happens? Also is this a server install ( command line only or often called console mode )?

Oh and since I don't know just how well versed in Linux you are, you say deleting some file in the file manager. This can lead to a serious problem and one that may not be repairable. You don't just delete files except data files as this can lead to instability or other more serious issues.
roddyshumbuc

Post by roddyshumbuc »

Perryg thanks for the input it is appreciated.

Pleased to say that the following code (provided by a contributor on the Linux Mint forum) sorted it all out.

Code: Select all

sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/info/packet_name_here.* /tmp/
sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq packet_name_here
sudo apt-get update
It seems that the package list had corrupted somehow.
I have since removed the PPA that I was using and downgraded VB to the version (5.04) currently supported by Linux Mint.
An old version but it is working fine.

Thanks.