[Solved] Not recognizing CPU

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
keywild

[Solved] Not recognizing CPU

Post by keywild »

So I was trying to figure out the dismal "bridged network performance" and decided to try a machine that did not use a Intel 1000 NIC. I drug out an old Dell D630 Laptop that has a "Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GHz × 2" processor. According to Intel that has a 64 bit instruction set. Loaded Linux Mint (Mate) 18.2 (X64), all the updates and then installed Oracle VirtualBox version 5.1.30. It will NOT allow the creation of a 64 bit machine ...
vbox X32.jpg
vbox X32.jpg (53.82 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
So HOW pray tell do I convince it that the CPU is 64 bit????
VBOX is really getting frustrating ....
Last edited by keywild on 19. Oct 2017, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Not recognizing CPU

Post by Perryg »

socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

keywild wrote:decided to try a machine that did not use a Intel 1000 NIC
Real or Virtual? Why would it matter?
keywild wrote:According to Intel that has a 64 bit instruction set.
That's not what you should be really caring about. You should be mostly interested in the availability of VT-x. No VT-x, no 64-bit guest.
keywild wrote:It will NOT allow the creation of a 64 bit machine
1) Why does it *have to* be a 64-bit guest to test a networking problem? and 2) Do what Perryg suggested.
keywild wrote:VBOX is really getting frustrating ....
I wish it was only VirtualBox...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
keywild

Post by keywild »

Real or Virtual? Why would it matter?
Simulated hardware does not always act like the real world hardware it is simulating. I am talking about REAL WORLD HARDWARE.
You should be mostly interested in the availability of VT-x. No VT-x, no 64-bit guest.
It does have VT-x support. See the URL https://ark.intel.com/products/33917/In ... 00-MHz-FSB
Why does it *have to* be a 64-bit guest to test a networking problem?
I am getting dismal "bridged network" performance from Vbox 5.x on my other machines. I am trying to eliminate the possibility it is the real world Intel 1000 NICs in those machines (and I unable to pry them off the motherboards or totally disable them). I do not really think that is the case but if I can not install the SAME guest software then I can not eliminate that possibility.
Do what Perryg suggested.
"You usually need to enable VT-x/AMD-v in the host PC BIOS."
Oops ... missed the BIOS setting (old cmos battery needs replacing). Really ... why does it default to being off.

Thank thee ... now I can verify the problem.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] Not recognizing CPU

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid that you missed a couple of the points that I was trying to make, or I didn't make my points clear enough:
  1. Your real/physical network card on the host doesn't really matter. Your virtual network card doesn't really matter as long as the guest has built-in drivers. Of course there have been exceptions to that rule, but they're really, really rare, not something that a network re-initialization on the guest could/would fix.
  2. I talked about the availability of VT-x, not your CPUs capability. I had already checked your CPU and it is VT-x capable. That doesn't mean that VT-x will be available for your OS, as you noticed from the settings of your BIOS.
  3. I was familiar with your other thread. A test that I would try to run is to use a 32-bit version of the guest, just for kicks. Use another guest (Fedora, Arch, Debian, etc.) instead of the same one that had the problem, even the LiveCD/DVD. Your intuition of testing it on another computer is definitely a really good approach as well.
Glad you got your issue resolved. Now, let's get back to the original thread to resolve your network speed issue... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
keywild

Re: [Solved] Not recognizing CPU

Post by keywild »

socratis wrote:Now, let's get back to the original thread to resolve your network speed issue... ;)
I verified the same problem on the Dell D630 (Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Integrated Controller). I do not believe it is solvable ... well not within practical limits.

Ubuntu/Linux Mint use an updated kernel NE1000 driver that runs at full 1000 Mb/s. Every other distribution I have tried is still using the old NE1000 driver that runs at 100 Mb/s. Secondly (and this may sound nitpicking) but I really prefer the Mate UI as implemented under Linux Mint. My old eyes require bifocals and flipping my head back to read a menu at the top of the screen is a royal pain in the neck --- literally. Now I could probably load the Mate UI on another distribution and tweak it until it matched Linux Mint ... but why bother when Mint does such a good job of it right from the ISO.

The LAN speed problem in vbox is a deal-breaker however I found another as well. VLC consistently crashes vbox after about 30 seconds.

As far as the VM LAN speed is concerned: My solution is to revert back to using VMware Workstation Player. Like Linux Mint it works correctly right from the ISO and one does not need to jump through configuration hoops to get it up and running properly. The free version of 12.5 or 14.0 Workstation Player will run ONE VM and install without any problems (11.5 was a wee bit of a problem to install). If I need more than one VM simultaneously then I can pay the upgrade fee to Workstation Pro (I happen to have a 11.5 license). FYI: The only thing a Linux user gets from the PRO version is multiple machines and the ability to export OVF/OVAs. Everything else in the PRO version is a 'Microsoft feature'.

I will take another look at Oracle Virtual Box in a couple years (if I am still around to do so).