Ports non accessible on Windows guest :(

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
vincen
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Ports non accessible on Windows guest :(

Post by vincen »

Hi

I'm running Virtualbox 5.0.40 with extensions on Ubuntu 16.04.2 since a long time without problem up to today. My guest system is Windows 10. I need to install in it a software that runs as server and so open two ports on the windows so remote apps can connect to it.
My guest system (Win 10) runs in bridge mode so it has its own IP on my LAN and I can ping it from my other computers without problem.
If I try from the guest system to telnet on these open ports I get access to it. If I do the same from my LAN no connection possible :(
The app uses ports 1023 and 1045.
I have checked and Windows firewall is completely deactivated !

Any ideas what's the problem ?

Thanks

Vincèn
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Ports non accessible on Windows guest :(

Post by Martin »

Did you also check the Ubuntu firewall on the host that it allows the passthrough traffic for the bridged connection?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

That's a good one Martin. The firewall may be in "front" of the Bridged filter, so it may intercept the packets and throw them out, before the bridging filter has ever had a chance to see them and redirect them to the VM.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
vincen
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by vincen »

Martin wrote:Did you also check the Ubuntu firewall on the host that it allows the passthrough traffic for the bridged connection?
Good point but I have no firewall in my Ubuntu system ;) In fact I think I found the culprit :( It looks like the program I run in the Windows looks to listen only on localhost (127.0.0.1) and not the LAN ip of the windows so might be also an issue I guess !!