No Sound on RDP for Headless Virtualbox on Linux Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Addy

No Sound on RDP for Headless Virtualbox on Linux Host

Post by Addy »

Hi,

I have setup virtualbox headless on Ubuntu Server 16.04 and I am managing it with phpVirtualbox. The problem I am facing is that I am unable to get any sound output to my client machines. Details are as under:

Host Machine: Linux
Host OS: Ubuntu Server 16.04
VirtualBox version: 5.1.30

Virtual Machine Operating System: Windows 7
Virtual Machine Audio Host Audio Driver: Null Driver
Virtual Machine Audio Controller: ICH A97 (No Driver on VM), Intel HD Audio (Sound Driver is OK but no sound to client), SoundBlaster 16 (No Driver on VM)

Virtual Machine Audio Host Audio Driver: PulseAudio
Virtual Machine Audio Controller: ICH A97 (No Driver on VM), Intel HD Audio (Sound Driver is OK but no sound to client), SoundBlaster 16 (No Driver on VM)

Client Machine: Linux
Client OS: Ubuntu Desktop 16.10
Client RDP software: Remmina 1.1.2

Remmina Settings for Audio as below:
Quality = Best
Sound = Local (high quality)
Security = Negotiate

I am unable to find a way to play sound on the client side. Please help me as I am unable to find any source as to how to get this thing to work.
Please note that when I play the youtube video on the virtual machine then the sound panel on windows shows that there is sound but I have not been able to play sound on client.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: No Sound on RDP for Headless Virtualbox on Linux Host

Post by Perryg »

Code: Select all

Virtual Machine Audio Host Audio Driver: Null Driver
null means none so you need to set the adapter. Don't know how to do this with phpv.. since I don't use it but there is a command that you can use with VBoxManage.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

phpVirtualBox is a program that relies on VirtualBox but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us. It is not supported on these VirtualBox user forums, they have their own phpVirtualBox support channels. If you are having this problem with a standalone version of VirtualBox, then we can continue this discussion.

I would stick to the template defaults. There is a reason why these specific defaults were chosen, because they work. So, don't use phpVirtualBox, create a guest, copy exactly the settings and then if you want you could use phpVirtualBox, but if anything goes wrong, as I said, they have their own support.

Also, make sure that it works normally first before going into headless RDP.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Post by towo2099 »

And btw, for sound over RDP you would need version 1.2.x of remmina.
remmina 1.1.x is not able to provide sound for Windows newer than XP.