Debian 9 Virtual Box 5.1 error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
x1

Debian 9 Virtual Box 5.1 error

Post by x1 »

Hi! I Installed VirtualBox and than Vagrant and Docker with some images. Before Vagrant and Docker VirtualBox worked, but after - I cannot start it. Get an error.

Error getting COM-object VirtualBox.

Runtime error opening '/home/user/.config/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml' for reading: -38(Access denied.).

/home/vbox/vbox-5.1.30/src/VBox/Main/src-server/VirtualBoxImpl.cpp[550] (nsresult VirtualBox::init()).

Код ошибки: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Компонент: VirtualBoxWrap
Interface: IVirtualBox {0169423f-46b4-cde9-91af-1e9d5b6cd945}
: IVirtualBoxClient {d2937a8e-cb8d-4382-90ba-b7da78a74573}

I tried to reinstall but the error is the same. What can I do with it?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Debian 9 Virtual Box 5.1 error

Post by mpack »

Sorry, but you need to get Docker/Vagrant support on a Docker/Vagrant support forum. We officially know nothing about them here.

I can tell you that the error says that you (i.e. that user account) has no permission to access the personal documents of account '/home/user'. To run VirtualBox VMs you must be logged in as the user who created the VMs, since the data for the VMs is stored in that users personal document space. You can move VM files to a shared area, but then you really need to know what you're doing.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

To add a couple of details, Vagrant and Docker are programs that rely on VirtualBox but modify VirtualBox's configuration files in unknown ways to us. They're not supported on these VirtualBox user forums, they have their own Vagrant support and Docker support channels. If you are having this problem with a standalone version of VirtualBox, then we can continue this discussion here.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Before Vagrant and Docker VirtualBox worked, but after - I cannot start it
Says it all. Not a VirtualBox issue since it worked before you installed these additional 3rd party programs.