Loading xp on mint 18,2 host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
saltytheseadog

Loading xp on mint 18,2 host

Post by saltytheseadog »

I am having problems loading windows xp guest on linux host. I have a acer E15 laptop with no dvd drive. I have made an installation usb stick from it which I successfully used to install xp on a stand alone installation. Possibly made from Rufus software. When I load the USB stick it is seen by both the host and guest. When I go to choose where to load the installation media from the USB is not available to me, ( computer:/// Sony Storage Media). I have tried to mount it in media/usb using different code I have found in on-line sites but been refused. My computer lists the usb drive sdb1 as H**S/ NTFS/ exFAT type. Any suggestions?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Loading xp on mint 18,2 host

Post by socratis »

You can't boot from a USB device in VirtualBox. Not with what you want to do in any event. There has been limited support for booting from a USB, if it's used in raw mode and only with the EFI boot option. The EFI boot option will not work for WinXP.

You need to find your original installation disks and either use those, or create an ISO from them and boot from that. I would suggest the latter, since it's much faster and less error prone...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
saltytheseadog

Re: Loading xp on mint 18,2 host

Post by saltytheseadog »

Creating an iso from the original installation disk was another problem I'm having, but that is for the Linux forum. Thanks