3D Acceleration causes Linux Host to freeze

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
shamelessness

3D Acceleration causes Linux Host to freeze

Post by shamelessness »

Hello,

Currently running an Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 64-bit host and trying to create a Win10 64bit VM within it (vminfo included for VM). Without 3D Acceleration, I can start the VM fine and open CAD software I'm trying to use on the VM (it's only compatible with Windows). Trying to enable 3D Acceleration to improve the performance, but this is causing my screen to lock up on my host. To be specific, the VM will boot and get to the login page for Win10 when my screen will freeze, but I can move my mouse and music will continue to play which makes me think it's something specific to the video card? It's an old NVIDIA GTX 580. Attached the log and showvminfo as per the posting guide, let me know if I can include anything else.
Attachments
vminfo.txt
(3.91 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
VmTroubleshooting-2017-10-09-01-38-23.log
(73.74 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
ChristianFr
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 2003

Re: 3D Acceleration causes Linux Host to freeze

Post by ChristianFr »

Hello,

the same here:
Host: Linux Centos 7 (OEL) 4.12.89
Guest: Windows 7

But, because I am working remotely on host and guest, I can say that:
The graphics of the guest on local host was not good from the moment when I did the update to 5.1.28 (but was good remotely).
I could reconnect as root on host, and see that no CPU is used. Just the session from which I launched Virtualbox is locked (I still can remotely connect to it but I can do nothing, even is the mouse moves... With the Linux cursor).

From the instant I connected as root, my windows session was closed and I was not able to reconnect on it.

So, I was able to kill the guest from inside... But the host did not return to a very stable state...

So, not good...

Disable 3D acceleration in the settings made the thing work correctly.

But without 3D acceleration...

After killing my server session and restatrting virtualbox fresh, it does not block the host. The 3d is officially there, but no program that uses it can display it. The rendering space is just transparent, showinf the background of the screen... BUT when I resize the windows, I see flashes of the 3D scene... So, it is just a problem of the buffer being not at the good place...

The good thing is that through rdp, it works better. But stil not 3D scene.

But, after reinstalling the 3D driver (the version which does not need to restart in Safe mode), it works... I reconnected on my host server to test locally, it works too. So, more tests to do.

So, shamelessness, maybe you should try again... Maybe this is just a weird sequence of actions which creates the problem...

Christian
PS: I really appreciate VirtualBox. I use it massively. First time I tried 3D. No luck...
PS2: I wrote this while I was doing my tests...
AALLeeXX
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Ubuntu

Re: 3D Acceleration causes Linux Host to freeze

Post by AALLeeXX »

Hello,

Unfortunately, same here too. I was previously advised to use the GuestAdditions 5.2.7 which was supposed to allow 3D acceleration.
I'm currently running these ones, just downloaded yesterday: VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.7-120326.iso

When 3D acceleration is enabled, Linux (Ubuntu 17.10) is just frozen, cannot do anything, even not shut it down. I guess its a know problem, but In spite of advices I got here, no way. I shall keep 3D disable...

Did some of you could override this problem ? Is a fix expected ? Or is it my setup that is wrong ? I do not see in this forum any other solution that using the GA 5.2.7... which does not work with me...

I attach the logs I took, from a clear startup to a ACPI reset (since not soft way to shutdown).
Ubuntu 17.10 64 bits-2018-02-17-23-12-22.log.zip
3D acceleration enabled.
(32.32 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Virtualbox Version 5.2.6 r120293 (Qt5.6.3)
Host: MacOS HighSierra 10.13.4 (17E150g)
Guest: Ubuntu 17.10, 64 bits
Guest additions installed, see above

Thank you for your hints here, my VB is very slow without the 3D acceleration.

ALeX