Time lost

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Mike{Dmetrix}

Time lost

Post by Mike{Dmetrix} »

Hello I had a problem updating to the latest version:

VirtualBox 5.1.28
Linux MInt 18.2 64 BIT

When I started the machines after upgrading (WindowsServer2008 - Centos 5 - Linux MInt 17.1) started with a jump in time, it is as if I had loaded an old version of the machines, in fact it was, I have lost the same data all this year, both in databases and applications, the strangest thing is that there is no copy stored on the server that hosts the VMs, everything is backed up on external disks.
Request a little help or advice, greetings community

Mikel Cuellar O
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Time lost

Post by socratis »

Do you use snapshots? Are you sure you haven't reverted back to a previous snapshot?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mike{Dmetrix}

Post by Mike{Dmetrix} »

Do not leave it configured by default, but there is no folder with Snapshots

gracias
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'd like to see a VBox.log:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  2. Save it (only the first VBox.log), ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
I would also like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mike{Dmetrix}

Post by Mike{Dmetrix} »

Thank you for your help, I enclose what you asked for
Attachments
Desktop.zip
(14.75 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Last edited by Mike{Dmetrix} on 4. Oct 2017, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Mike{Dmetrix} wrote:the strangest thing is that there is no copy stored on the server that hosts the VMs, everything is backed up on external disks.
Everything looks fine from the VirtualBox side, but can you explain the above statement?

Your VM loads from:
00:00:00.084774 File system of '/home/mikel/VirtualBox VMs/Disc_Server/Disc_Server-disk1.vmdk' is ext4
That doesn't look to me like external media. Are you sure you're running the correct VM and you haven't confused the local copy with the copy on the external media?
Mike{Dmetrix}

Post by Mike{Dmetrix} »

My apologies, I only meant a backup that I once did, and on the server, if the virtual hard disks are executed correctly

regards
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

A moments thought should tell you that it's impossible for VirtualBox to revert a VM to an earlier moment in time without help: how did it store an uncorrupted image of what the disk previously contained?

Four possibilities that I can think of, all of which involve user error:
  1. The VM uses snapshots, the user reverted to an earlier snapshot. (doesn't seem to be the case).
  2. The VM uses snapshots, user created a new VM, incorrectly using only the base VMDK from the original VM.
  3. User restored an older backup (the VM looks like an import to me).
  4. The user was running a VM in live CD (evaluation) mode, and restarted the guest OS.
I'm not aware that Win2K8 Server has an evaluation mode, so it looks like 2 or 3.